Now more than ever, we need your support! Become a Supporting Subscriber today.
Amy’s Choice: SPOILERS!!!!
“Only one person in the universe hates me as much as you.”
I have to say that after last week’s trailer, I really didn’t think that I was going to enjoy this one but I was pleasantly surprised and this is really shaping up to be quite a good season overall. It had a very strange feel to it, more like a Twilight Zone episode than doctor Who but I quite enjoyed seeing something that I don’t think we’ve seen very much in the series since the Celestial Toymaker or the Mind Robber.
· Really loved the iced up TARDIS – very, very atmospheric and reminded me of a Stargate episode where Carter and O’Neill get trapped on what they believe to be an ice planet with a broken star gate. Was that a painting of a dragon on the TARDIS wall that I saw in the Confidential?
· Still digging the expansion of the TARDIS crew into a threesome and really hoping that this lasts for a long time and that Rory doesn’t just hop on and off like Mickey. I felt this story tied up the Doctor-Amy-Rory triangle, which was set up at the end of Flesh and Stone rather nicely.
· The dilemma I thought was intriguing –I really thought I had a handle on which scenario was reality for the characters and didn’t see the ending coming; though wasn’t exactly sure why the Dream Lord wanted them to be in one scenario rather than the other.
· The Dream Lord – mmmm – I really thought this was the Toymaker or the Master of the Land of Fiction and really didn’t guess his real identity until it was revealed at the end – were those last few seconds an indication that we’ll see him again?
· Wasn’t exactly sure about the old people (Tony from the Flashing Blade is right, there are a lot of eyes this series), they were a cost effective monster, I suppose, and herein lies my only criticism that it felt a bit like an episode designed to save money. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy it, and why should a series waste money on CGI if it doesn’t have to but, was it me, or did it just feel a little bit cheap? Maybe that’s unfair. I don’t know.
Anyway, a surprising 7 out of 10 for me. But what about that trailer for next week. That looked great!