• (SPOILER) Possible Weddings in "Doctor Who"?   5 years 24 weeks ago

Thanks for the tip.

It doesn't automatically show up so I had to find it.

I also used it on the links so I could hide the story titles.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 24 weeks ago

The Romans is great fun! And almost unique, in fact, in that it really is Doctor Who as an out and out comedy/farce! And its such fun!

Anyone who hasn't seen it is in for a treat when it shows in on DVD (in the US!) shortly! Hooray!

• (SPOILER) Possible Weddings in "Doctor Who"?   5 years 24 weeks ago

BTW - On another website message board - a source who has in the past been very very accurate and responsible, claims to have deliberately started this rumour nad spread it around the internet to see if the tabloids would pick it up!

Guess what? They did :)

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 24 weeks ago

This was a great story. Yet another story which I was completely unfamiliar.

I was surprised how this switched between farce and deadly seriousness (slavery, tongues being cut out, Rome burning to the ground).

This story was great light relief showing nicer, more gentle side of the Doctor. I found Vicki likable in this story, as I did not take to her character particularly in the Escape.

Costumes were great, but the sets were a bit lackluster, just drapery for the most part.

I felt let down by some of the Story. The galley part was pretty weak and then the arena scene versus the lion just never materialized.

It was most amusing although 'all road lead to Rome', the paths never crossed.

What surprised me most was the fact that Tavius was ultimately good, I was sure bretral was coming at any moment.

Nice to see Doctor Number One doing some swordplay.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 24 weeks ago

I quite enjoyed this story even though it was short and simple.
    Again, I was not familiar with the story, but given the fact that I knew Vicki became a companion, it was clear that Bennent couldn't survive to the end of the tale. I therefore guessed the key point of the ending, pretty early on.

I liked the Koquillion costume (seem to have seen it a lot over the years) so was ultimately dissapointed to see that the Dido species were human (I would use the phrase humanoid, except that they weren't, they were definately human).

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 24 weeks ago

I have commented on this story previously (website V2) but remembered something that struck me as odd when I watched it.

The TARDIS landed with the front windows open! This was obious on a) the model used for materialization and b) on the full size prop used with the actors in front.

This struck me as very odd, as it meant it was deliberate (actually making a model with the windows open).

Equally odd, was the fact that the windows were shut at the end of the story when they are leaving Susan behind.

Are there any other instances of the TARDIS windows being open?. I can't think of any, but am not familiar with most first Doctor stories which follow this one, or many of the second Doctor Stories. This being the reason I decided to try and watch everything through from the beginning.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 24 weeks ago

I have been investigating other forum options. There may be some good news possibility in terms of third party options... if they work properly within the CMS here and if it is not too complicated to implement. I need more time to investigate and research it.

• new trailer   5 years 24 weeks ago

The trailer was posted on our previous site (2.0) last week. Here it is here:

• (SPOILER) Possible Weddings in "Doctor Who"?   5 years 24 weeks ago

The thing is that RTD really likes to do two things...

Tie things up nicely and surprise the audience.

I mean, the amount of times they've suggested they were going to do something and on paper it sounded awful, but when implemented it worked perfectly and the oddness either disappeared or enhanced the story.

I guess it's a testament to the man's skill as a writer.

So what I'm saying is, while I'm in your camp that I'm not convinced about it I'd have to say I have the utmost confidence in the man to do a superb job of it if things do go in that direction.

Plus I guess he'll want to go out with some kind of bang and while weddings aren't exactly a "BANG" for us blokes, they certainly are with a certain number of ladies.

• (SPOILER) Possible Weddings in "Doctor Who"?   5 years 24 weeks ago

You can change the text color easily via the Rich Editor. If it does not automatically show up for you, click the "Input format" below and select the Rich Editor. The select the text you want white. Click on the "A" icon in the tool bar with the thick underline and you should see a color pallet. Choose white. As an example, the following is in white text: This is in white text now. <-- white text here.

• Wow! Outpost Gallifrey and the Doctor Who Forum are closing!   5 years 24 weeks ago

I felt the same way when I firts read the announcement, especially since there's so much fantastic content on the site that has nothing to do with the forums.

But, having been a part of running a big forum for a while and then passing my responsibility off to others, I can say with experience that passing things along is a mixed bag. After I left, the person I handed my administration responsibilities to just...didn't do the job, and things began to fall apart. I don't know if they ever picked back up again, but I'm STILL getting emails daily from forum members asking me for help, and it's been more than a year now.

So whatever his reasons, I don't believe it was completely selfish to choose to shut things down altogether rather than give it over to someone else. It might be better for the community to "go out on a high" as the announcement put it, especially since there ARE very valid and acceptable alternatives out on the web now for Who community and discussion, and it's not like shutting the doors to the only library in town, you know?

Still, I can see where you're coming from, and I feel a bit like that myself. Everything's so well organized and there's so much stuff on there that we're losing a great source of information, and that's rather sad.

(Still, at least the convention is going strong! Glad to see there's no plans for anything to happen to that <3 )

Congratulations on 93 episodes and nearing 100, Dave AC! I just started listening to CIA a while ago, it's rather lovely <3

(On avatar size, if you don't mind me speaking up, I do think 85x85 is just right for this forum, but then again my screen resolution is really high -1400x1050- so 85x85 looks fairly small on my screen.)

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 24 weeks ago

The forums don't feel sufficiently "forumy," as has been discussed elsewhere, but the whole place looks much cleaner, much more professional. Good job. Which CMS is this?

• (SPOILER) Possible Weddings in "Doctor Who"?   5 years 24 weeks ago

OOPS!

My bad!

It's going to take me a little time to adjust to the forums.

BTW: How do you do white text here?

PS: I tried to space it down but the post automatically put back to the way you see it.

• Gallifreyan Embassy Blogs   5 years 24 weeks ago

Excellent! Looking forward to the new blog. Cheers, Mark

• Calendar?   5 years 24 weeks ago

Yeah, this is one of the features which was built into the previous CMS which is not in the new CMS. But I have been looking into other options in form of 3rd party modules that could give us calendars and/or events on the site. It won't be exactly like what we had on the previous site though.

The same thing goes with web links ("Web Resources" on our previous site).

• This Week In Doctor Who - May 30, 2009 (test posting)   5 years 24 weeks ago

It worked! TWIDW is here! I still can't believe the amount of work you do on a weekly basis to make this resource possible.

• url in sig   5 years 24 weeks ago

Yes, use can use a URL link in your sig. Just use standard html to make them hot links.

For example:

<a href="http://gallifreyanembassy.org">Gallifreyan Embassy</a>

For a link to the Galifreyan Embassy. There seems to be a size limitation on the sigs. I don't know what it is off hand, but it will trim it to make it fit. I will have to look further into it to see if I can increase it.

The size right now is set for 85x85. Do you feel that is too big?

• The Big Screen   5 years 24 weeks ago

Thats one of the reasons I have a 16mm projector and a tv projector. we set up a sheet of white plywood outside and watch old movies on film and new ones on DVD. We even have a real popcorn machine!

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 24 weeks ago

This new site is fantastic! I can't even begin to imagine how much hard work you put into it. Now that Outpost Gallifrey is leaving us, this will, hopefully, become the new hub of Dr. Who fandom.

Thanks Louis - I cleaned mine up a bit in the background :-) Perhaps the avatar allowed size is a little large the way this new forum looks.

100x100

85x85

80x80

75x75

60x60

100x100

85x85

80x80

75x75

60x60

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 24 weeks ago

Here is another image that is 1024x768 - same image as before.

unsung hero 1024x768

set at 512x344

EDIT - just saved it back to my PC - as 1024x768

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 24 weeks ago

You should be able to resize the image if you are using the Rich Editor's picture icon, it will pop up a window which you can enter the dimensions of the image. If you just enter the width, I believe the height will automatically be scaled to match.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 24 weeks ago

In the old Forum I often posted picture up to my PhotoBucket size limit of 1024x768

When I displayed them in the GE forum I'd use the ('width="512")
    so that is would fit the forum but be of higher quality if people 'saved it' to view.

Looks like a width limit of 512 or thereabouts will be all this forum will take - or will it 're-size' any image to a percentage of it's full size?

How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)