• view recent forum posts?   5 years 19 weeks ago

Sprry disregard, found it - DOH!

• Doctor Who: Podshock 1st Virtual Meet-Up   5 years 19 weeks ago

I actually remember visiting this place back then in SL.  It looks so "funny" or dated now.

Tongue out

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 19 weeks ago

I am very much in-line with carriertone's original post & opinion. If there were ever a show where I embraced and/or even anticipated change it would be Doctor Who.

...perhaps the Doctor & his companions where diapers/depends with TARDIS technology built in?

Tongue out

• Pete Pixel at Second SL Meet Up   5 years 19 weeks ago

Look at him getting down!  I had a great time @ the SL meet-up and 'Pete Pixel' really helped out a lot showing me the ropes of SL and how it worked. He also gave me a fab tour of 'Katrina' aka Cardiff Bay, The Doctor Who Experience including the Doctor Who museum & 'New Gallifrey.'

Thanks James! Wink

-'Bullitt Swords' (SL alias)

• The Big Screen   5 years 19 weeks ago

You haven't lived until you have watched Doctor Who (or any of your favorite television shows) on the big screen with an auditorium full of apreciative fans.

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 19 weeks ago

you sir, are bitter. I can't wait for the Moffat era to begin. His stories were some of the best every season, and now he's running the show!? Awesome! How is bringing back the Doctor's face to the credits even slightly "gloss"? I think the next few years are going to be all about substance, if "Blink", "The Girl In The Fireplace", and "Silence In The Library" are any indication.

- C

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 19 weeks ago

This was another enjoyable story with two episodes recontructed by Loose Canon. In contrast, with previous stories this seemed a little rushed in 4 episodes. I recently listened to the audiobook of David Whitaker's novel of this story (read by William Russell) which was greatly expanded over the televized material. The added background on the novelization significantly adds to this story and I would recommend reading or listening to it.

When starting out on this excercise to watch everything from the beginning, I had thought that watching the historicals would be a chore whilst the 'sci-fi' episodes would be the highlights. The more I watch, the more I realize that in general the historicals are of very high quality and the futuristic/sci-fi episodes are often the poorer ones.

I was slightly disturbed to see all the 'blacked up' English actors in this story, but I guess that is just a sign of how times and attitudes have changed in the last 45 Years. Julian Glover and Jean Marsh were pretty good but seemed to be only in the story for a few minutes.

• Full Circle   5 years 19 weeks ago

The Doc's in trouble in the marsh and later in the starliner. I guess he's gone to help the Decider if he could or see what he could do to stop the problem but he really doens't have to get involved nor does he have to send K9 off to follow the marshmen. It's quite tragic that the marsh child follows the Doctor inside the starliner and the starliner people are not at all friendly. Some typical but funny Tom-isms: after the three stuffy deciders introduce themselves, he says, "And I"m the Doctor"  and "Why can't people just be nice to one another for once. I mean I"m not an alien and you don't want to drag me into a swamp." A beat and then, "You do."  I love how he just shakes up this entire culture. And they deserve it. There's some secret going on and at the time I should have expected some PLANET OF THE APES like revelation but I didn't. It's not unlike FACE OF EVIL or UNDERWORLD in this aspect.

There's a square purple paint spot where the Tardis was standing. Still, some of these outdoor shots, brief as they may be are some of the most well lit, beautiful outdoorsy scenes ever shot for the series. Despite the sound effects of something akin to a lift off the marshmen have taken the TARDIS into the cave, carrying it. Now it's been carried or taken before and the weight has never been an issue but it is here. And K9 is silly here, just getting his head knocked off iwthout defending himself. I HATE that the production team sees fit to get rid of him in these violent ways, just make him in the Tardis recharging if you have to. Up to the beheading point, he was really quite useful.

The violent antipathy between Varsh and Tylos (who was supposed to be tougher in the script...talk about going against type) was played down...way down to the point of non existance and truthfully it could have added something to this ep and others. The doors to the TARDIS don't seem to operate togethr, meaning interior and exterior. Adric slams one of the outer doors shut but enters the open interior doors. Why he did that? Panic over the spiders? Romana was still outside.

JNT was correct in not making the giant spiders of the original story. He'd seen a Blake's 7 ep (HARVET OF KARIOS or something) and rightly realized giant insects were not to be done correctly on tv yet, not by the BBC anyway. Instead, we get these smaller spider insects and while they are disturbing, if seen in a scene too long, they look really fake. Even so, Romana's fate in the  cliffhanger is pretty upsetting but why pick up a fruit/egg to hit the things with? And her earlier, "They're only spiders" is silly. They look menacing from the moment we see them and they should to her. I guess they were trying to emphazise the antagonism between teh Marshpeople, the Starliner people and the spiders...

another good ep, carried by Lalla at her best, Tom as his best, and the production and direction at their best, even with the young cast...if Doctor Who had gone on like this for ten more years, I would have watched it regularly and loved every moment of it. Romana, the Doctor, Adric and K9 made quite a watchable team and into trouble every minute and with interesting mysterious stories and new cultures to see in conflict...all that was needed was a bit more trips into history...this was just great and so promising for the future. Little did I know I should have enjoyed it while I could. It was all about to get ripped away from me and the audience to bcome something so different too fast.

for now, this ep stands as another strong one, entertaining and not yet too demanding but colorful, fast paced and very very watchable unlike LEISURE and MEGLOS and a lot of what was to follow (even some Davison stories were just...blah!). for me, this season is shaping up finally to be something of value and something different to DW before it.

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 19 weeks ago

I dn't know how to take this info. It reminds me of the JNT days when there was so much wrong with the show and he's come out and say, "And we've changed the music and we have a new opening titles sequence"  rather than, "ANd we've got a new script editor and a good story."

In that context, i'ts worrying because it might mean we've entered the JNT phase of the new show: all gloss and no substance but who knows? Next thing we'll hear "we've plenty of top notch guest stars who've not been in DW yet"  and "I want to kill off K9... again"

And oh yes, we're getting another animated story because THE INFINITE QUEST was so good. (?)!

Whatever, right now until Matt starts DW is dead to me. It's so sucky

• Forums   5 years 19 weeks ago

Now that the Doctor Who forums are closing down this month were are all those users heading too? Does anybody know?

Actually, it is next month (31st of July) which it and Outpost Gallifrey are going away leaving gallifreyone.com solely dedicated to the annual Doctor Who convention in Los Angeles.

Where the existing forum participates go is really anybody's guess at this point. Some may already participating in other forums already - in which case perhaps their activity in those other forums will increase. Some may seek out new forums. While others are hectically creating new forums in hopes to be the new home of those in question.

• The Minute Doctor Who Podcast   5 years 19 weeks ago

The latest episode is now online. This time I'm looking at the last Pertwee story.

Episode 16 - The Last Pertwee

• The "Checkout Line" Promo   5 years 19 weeks ago

Thanks! It was fun to produce and create. Yes, I played all the parts in it too (it's hard to find actors and actresses that will work between 3-4 AM for no pay -- Unlike myself, they're smart).

Thanks in advance. It does make a difference. This month alone, one of our monthly server fees we pay went up by 20% Frown

"I need a price check! Frank... I need a price check!"

• Kinda   5 years 19 weeks ago

I agree but what befuddles me is that, good shows but not as much a cult fandom, such as LOST IN SPACE, LAND OF THE GIANTS, THE TIME TUNNEL, MILLENNIUM, BLAKE'S SEVEN, SAPPHIRE AND STEEL, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, GALACTICA 1980, VOYAGERS, STAR TREK: the all of them including the animated one, LAND OF THE LOST, even JOSIE AND THE PUSSY CATS  and many many others...have all come out on dvd far far ahead of DOCTOR WHO...it just defies future thought ...one would have expected DW to have come out season by season and be finished by now...

but yeah KINDA is a good story. Not really scary but I don't scare easily but it was tense and it showcased Tegan, Adric and the new Doctor rather well and was a different kind of story for DW and TV in general. Of course the big snake can be ignored but the story is just so strange and werid and ...entertaining. Still, even though Janet is good in it..I somteimes wonder if it'd be a better show without Tegan and with just another colonist being taken over...

• MEGLOS 3-4   5 years 19 weeks ago
    3-4

3-4

Wow. That was tedious. At least now Tom is in full villain mode and doing a great job. For some reason his performance reminds me of Bela Lugosi's Dracula, maybe because he's seen menacing a female for most of the episode. Lalla just about holds her own against the Gaztak pirates who by ep4 or even this ep, get really annoying. Other writers and fans have compared them favorably to the scavengers in CREATURE FROM THE PIT but in that story, the Scavengers were not so prominently featured. The pirates, here, are and not really to the story's success, if there can be such a thing for this story. At least there is some action going on in this episode and in the the 4th. The music, as mentioned before, is very over the top now with the cliffhanger music saying, "DIE DIE Die" or something and Tom mugging it terribly...which just doesn't fit as it used to. There's one or two Tom-isms but the whole double thing is just...boring. Tom's performance as the Doctor when he's in the cell with Meglos...for some reason reminds me of Richard Basehart in VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. It was well known that Basehart grew weary of the show and yet grew to feel out the show to the very, bitter end...and that, even remaining professional, at times, he'd be somewhat...feeling good from liquid but who knows if that is true...perhaps Tom was doing the same. The Doctor comes off as a killer in a way and also ...he laughs uncontrollably when he tells Meglos that he, Meg, and the planet will be blown up. And why can't K9 just shoot the black man guard in stead of distracting him so that one of the Savants (Detrick?) can hit him over the head with a rock? Lexa's death scene...I thought it was one of those better moments but my memory cheated. Here it just seems like what it is: a tagged on scene to stretch things out. Even so the running time on ep4 is just like 19 minutes or so.

And was it just the copy I was watching or does Tom's hair look gray on some scenes? It is usually during the CSO stuff on Zultha Thura but Tom's hair at times looks gray and not as curly as it used to be.

The most interesting thing is that the theme music at the end of ep4 USED to be a somewhat different version. It was slowed down or something or speeded up. I can't recall. The video version seems "fixed" to the correct theme and it sounds like all the others. Or maybe  I just can't tell the difference anymore. It used to be very telling, the different version. Franklly, I think some of the reshowings also fixed that and I"m sure the DVD will fix it so that we get robbed of that little bit of strangeness. It sounded pretty good that way.

What else? Yeah---this was boring. Really boring. I can't imagine anyone but the most avid DW fan sticking around for this and then coming back next week. Sure, there were some long dull stretches in DW before but one could always count on something to enjoy, action, sets, music, a fast pace, an intersting idea or something...here, it just seems to drag on to the end. I must say that Meglos's true form is rather disturbing when we see it crawl  off the Earthling.

Other than the different sounding new new theme song for ep4...the best thing about ths is the ending...it ended.

• Gallifreyan Embassy Website Regenerated   5 years 20 weeks ago

Louis / Ken / James - The website is awesome - it looks a little intimidating at first, but with any regeneration, the fun is in discovering the new features!  Thank you for your great efforts.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 20 weeks ago

One of the wacky things about DW at this time and probably all the others is that...nothing is really what it seems or is explained enough. The Didoians: were they human at one time? Are they now? Are the two that do in the killer still alive? Are they ghosts? The whole thing is played out as if they are more than human, more than alive, as if they are ghosts or something supernatural. I love how the Doctor fell asleep when he was materializing the Tardis! Hartnell can get away with so much as his Doctor was getting on in years. I also love how Ian and Barbara interact with him now, so much less tnesion and more amusement at his oldmanness. And to me, he just seems slightly alien and not at all fully alien...very much an old crankly man who likes the people he is with but doesn't often want to show it. And Vicki and he just get on so well. It was...all...very comfortable...for now. And ther'es nothing wrong with that.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 20 weeks ago

KEYS I actually liked all the way through but found I didn't really miss the Doctor when he wasn't there, don't know why. I mean I always like it when he is there but I found the companions able to hold the show up for an ep or two, I mean there were three of them. JNt should have learned something from this but anyway...liked the story...

RESCUE: I like this but...it does'nt make sense does it? Vicki didn't know Bennett wasn't the killer? And why wouldn't he just kill her? Did he want a witness to back up his story? I thought the Doctor and Vicki's relationship got off to a great start and their scenes together are touching without being coy. Hated that Barbara killed that beast but it did add some tension and drama.

THE WEB PLANET: Well I too felt this was overlong...when I watched it all in one go. Recentlly I watched it ep by ep and with an open mind (if you had my mind you'd want it open too) and thinking it would be funny with all the technical faults (I had a copy of the DW Error Finder). I a watched it one ep at a time and found that they had indeed created an alien world. A very alien world...perhaps for the first and only time. Nothing is human in this but of course you need to suspend disbelief...

THE ROMANS was another I entered into with an open mind and wiht the thought to watch only one ep at a time. It was on the first time I viewed it in the 80s during a channel's intermittent Colin showings so I really wanted to see Colin! Oh my! Needless to say times change and I'd rather see any Hartnell than any Colin story but never mind...ROMANS nowadays in viewing it ep by ep...in fact, I enjoyed the first ep so much I watched another one or two. It's not bad. It's not terribly funny but there are some menacing scenes especially as Ian and his ally escape but have to leave Barbara in Nero's grip....literally. The slapstick doesn't work much but ti does'nt take away from the rest and a historical is purely refreshing in ANY era of DW. If you look at this as a part of DW history and try to take it for what it was...experimental...in  a way..it's not that bad. I love that the travelers are there for a long time (as in MARCO POLO), that the TARDIS fell down a hill or something, and that they stay in a house vacated by the owner. There is danger and quite a few deaths going on and Hartnell is just...amusing throughout and even seems to fight well in one or two scenes, I think. The Doc and Vicki are getting along; Ian and Barbara seem to be having a romance of sorts and things just seem so...dangerous and yet relaxed all at once. It's like...well, like traveling in a time machine should be...IMO of course

• MEGLOS 3-4   5 years 20 weeks ago

Welcome to the newly upgraded site. I am glad you were able to sign on.

On CIA now ^_^

Just testing out the new forum.... not much to say, other than I won't make the show on 28th june due to attending a con

CIA- Cultdom In Audio Epi 93 - New Numbers :-)  http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/30659 2pm EDT
    See Wizard site - 25 greatest Sci-fi shows - down to the last four - or should that be up the top four :-)

Also may talk about those shows that 'should' have made the list

I think 85x85 is a lttle larrge compared to the amount of space for text in the forum layout.

But what do others think?

• Doctor Who Motivational Posters   5 years 20 weeks ago

• Staggering Stories Podcast   5 years 20 weeks ago

Have we entered an false reality?  Yes, Staggering Stories Podcast 47: When Assassins Go Deadly is now available!

We cover:
    Doctor Who: The Deadly Assassin.
    Doctor Who in Unusual Places.
    Ashes to Ashes.
    Choose your own Staggering Story.
    Plus, as ever, lots of news (Doctor Who, Sarah Jane Adventures and more!)

More madness than a clown in a mirror!

Available on iTunes and most other major podcast directory sites.

We also have a Staggering Stories Facebook group.
    You can drop us a line at show@staggeringstories.net or visit our Main Site or Blog.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 20 weeks ago

The Keys of Marinus Parts Three to Six: SPOILERS!

Part Four: Another nonsense, plot-free episode but you know what? With its knights frozen in ice, its (sex?-)crazed trapper pursuing Barbara around the table and its various instances of slow leg rubbing, I enjoyed this. Silly but tremendous fun!

Part Five: Great set up and then the return of the Doctor like a breath of fresh air and I realise why I’ve been struggling with this story. Early programmes (just as the most recent series) had a tendency to run a few weeks without the Doctor and, boy, do we miss him when he’s not there. Interesting to see Ian powerless and dependent on the others for a change, giving Barbara and Susan the opportunity to use their initiative. Good to see the story being given some leg room and run over into episode six.

Part Six: Loved seeing Ian with his Chinese top and his Marinus Fur coat – gradually collecting things from his different adventures. Well, you would, wouldn’t you? And then everything wrapped up? Well, sort of in a completely futile way, what with the whole reason that the keys were searched for in the first place, conveniently gone by the end of the episode... but I won’t spoil it completely.

Overall: the first story that I’ve struggled with. I think that it had to do with various reasons: the stand-alone stories covered in one episode and so not being given the time to develop fully, William Hartnell’s absence for much of the time, the one too many plot inconsistencies, and then there’s the special effects and the line fluffing – things which I usually find charming but this time kept pulling me out of the story. And it wasn’t just William Hartnell stumbling over his lines (at least that could be written off as a character trait), it was every other male actor. Mind you, seeing the Voord trip over his own flippers at the end was almost (if not quite) worth the price of admission.

Five out of ten from me.

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 20 weeks ago

Rich Johnston used to run Lying in the Gutters for comicbookresources.com. He always has inside info, and is rarely wrong. It does happen, but only once in a blue moon. I would definitely trust Rich's information.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)