• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 12 weeks ago

I thought The Curse of Fatal Death was hilarious.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 12 weeks ago

HI Chase,

Yes, Boba Fett (in ESB and RTJ) was played by Jeremy Bulloch who was Tor in the Space Museum. A Quick check of IMDB reveals he was also Hal the Archer in the Time Warrior.

I watched it on the plane by ripping them onto my ipod touch before I travelled. As documented earlier I have been watching most of these early episodes on my ipod whilst working out at the gym. Though i could have just as easily put them on the laptop (though the batteries would have only made it through the crusade, I think.

It did strike me whilst watching this thar Moroks did indeed seem very like Morlocks.

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 12 weeks ago

I'd like to point out one thing about the face in the title sequence. It's older than you think - the first time it was used was during the Patrick Troughton era.

With the exception of William Hartnell, Paul McGann and the "new" series Doctors all the Doctors have had their face or a variant of it (in Jon Pertwee's case - his whole body) in the titles.

When the series returned with Christopher Eccleston I half-way expected to see it returned then - mainly because I was so used to it being there for such a long time so it was a surprise when it didn't happen, but that didn't take away from the show.

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 12 weeks ago

I'd like nothing more than to be proved wrong. I like Matt Smith already and think if given good scripts, he'd make a GREAT Doctor and Moffat certainly has a good track record but I just can't help but thnk of the &^%# we've gotten recently, some of it from him. And didn't he also do CURSE OF FATAL DEATH?

TO be honest, I think RTD has had writer's block since MIDNIGHT but truth is he can't just stop writing, he has deadlines...or had them. IF that were the case, he should have leant out the stories to other writers. There's no way he can think his recent stuff is good.  And why does every story have to be "the stakes are raised" and "everything's in danger"?

Anyway nuff rant,I just hope that DW does come back strong in story and character just like it did in 2005 but I have STRONG doubts.

I also strongly believe the "rest" was a BIG mistake, one of many.

Oh and now we're getting a cartoon because the first one was so good and a scene on Sarah Jane Smith because they don't have enough aliens on that show.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 12 weeks ago

A young Boba Fett? The actor?

What do you mean you watched this on the plane? How?

Just wondering.

What struck me about the novel the CRUSADES was how dangerous the past seemed especially to Ian and Barbara, and the tv story gets there in a few scenes but then...just peters out somehow in ep4 or the later part of ep3. It all just...sort of ended. I liked the novel though and the tv episode. It was not bad. DW was then, truly a time travel show. Some of the supporting cast got too much time I thought, including Glover and Marsh, with DW threatening to sideline the main cast and become some kind of Shakespeare like play which it could not be, of course. I'm glad they tried it and sometime they still should try something like this again. I'd give them credit if they did but no, nowadays, we'll get the insect bugs from the planet Frogasdealiaprkcoriscus. Anyway not a bad story but a little slow. I do like how they played up the intrigue and how the Doctor uses his wit and mind to trick Richard's right hand man. But Richard himself...was really a villain in some of the things he did. None of that was played up. It should have been I felt. The Doc and Vicki have a grand old time in a way. The novel was darker and rightly so.

SPACE MUSEUM: a strange one. It starts out like TWILIGHT ZONE and when do any time trap things ever make sense. Watch the old 1960s movie TIME TRAVELERS and you will see an endless time trap that goes on over and over and over, a brilliant media presented time loop in a way. Here, the story keeps that going and I'm not sure it's ever fully resolved seriously or in a good way but whatever. Ian gets very militant here and good for him. These aliens were so evil and blood minded. Vicki also instigates a riot...and in a fun frolikcing kind of way until one of the allies she is with, a young man gets killed. That scene struck me and struck home that DW is still a dangerous show with danger all around and that anyone could get killed and this would come out a lot later in the Hartnell stories but that poor young guy that helped Vicki just got shot before her and our eyes. Scary and sad. Of course, she reacts but two scenes later he's forgotten I think. SM has a bad rep but truth is, it's not that bad at all. And most of it makes sense even if there are some cliches. I love that Barbara wants to rescue someone in a gas filled museum and that she seems to be the stronger one when compared to a young man alien. This might be one of the first "let's start a revolution" stories. The sets are bizarre and appropriate and I love Hartnell in this one more than in most. He's always good but here he's just terrific, trying to bluff the Moroks and ...hey, notice THE TIME MACHINE thing there? Anyway when he realizes he's in over his head...it's just great. And for once in this era, the humanoid aliens seems very deadly and ruthless.

• Full Circle   5 years 12 weeks ago

3-4

Faster paced, more colorful, better music, and a better story with three companions, yes FULL CIRCLE comes to an end. I'm not too sure about the evolution stuff going on and it is a bit confusing but the story is rather fast paced and entertaing. Tom looks like Tom again and his hair is curly, his nerve going on strong, his jokes funny and his out Doctor outrage at the experimentation on the marsh child just so very good. He also is keen on revealing the secrets of the starliner and even smiles when one of the Deciders realizes the marshmen can find a way back in once they're gone.

Varsh's death is sad, no getting over it really. Tylos also dies a hero. The scenes of the marshmen attacking could have been so much more violent and upsetting as they attack the inner chamber.

Another interesting thing is how Romana seems to be the Doctor's conscience at one moment. He is about to leave the starliner people to their fate but she is in front of him or to the side, telling him about millions and thousands of years of evolution going to waste and then and only then, just as he's about to leave them to their fate...and that would include alll the others , Adric, Keara, Login, etc...does he stop and teach them how to fly the ship. I like the scenes where the Doctror and Romana teach them, give them the book to read about the rest and hurridedly leave...excellent. JNT is making some great descions here....nixing a long scene of the Doc and Romana teaching the starliner people how to fly. He also stops, rightly so, an epilogue in the novel that would have had the starliner promptlly crashing again and having the evolution stuff happening again all over...a really stupid ending that JNT stopped. Hooray for JNT. No, really!

Adric is a great companion in this and his loyalty, his courage, his willingness to make mistakes and his comments...to the Doctor, "Sometimes,"  to the Doctor;s question, "Do you think it's right to loot other people';s property" is very funny. He has many of these moments so in a way he's the best of Leela's inexperience (and if he's partly somehow marshman her savagery) and the lower end of ROmana's intellegence (notice how he one ups her in smarts by suggesting they can just look out the door). Still, he seemed to close the door from the inside while trying to stop Tylos from shutting the inner doors...and then he accidentally starts the TARDIS away from Romana. I love Tom's "What is this Noah's ark?" comment when everyone comes out of the TARDIS and the short hop joke.

We also get to see a companion's bedroom, perhaps for the first time ever. We saw some bunks in some of the Hartnell eps and maybe Vicki's room or Barbara's or both but I can't recall it being so elaborately decorated. Of course either the posssessed Romana or the marshmen mostly wreck her room. It is clear to see Adric and the Doctor's warm touching care for Romana in a few short scenes.

We also see a BBC camera get between the Doc and Adric in the lab just as the marshmen break in...

There are those that say Varsh could have made a better companion. It's hard to argue with that but I doubt it. He's somewhat more in the traditional mold of companion and would have been more a hero. It might have been interesting if after Adric died, the Doctor somehow got Varsh as a comp instead of the wet Turlough...Richard Willis is nice to look at, did I say that? Anyway, you can see a lot more of  him in THE FEATHERED SERPENT but mind you, it was 1976 so he's a lot younger there and looks completely diffrent and acts with Partick Troughton.!!!

FULL CIRCLE is a resounding success and if DW could have stayed this way...instead of detriorating slowly over time...ahhh well...

We learn from the DVD that ANdrew Smith submitted a story line where aliens hiding on Earth in the 1800s are cloning to try to get Rutans off their planet. They make the Sontarans and the Sontarans win the battle and then take over the planet! One of the battles is to take place on the Marie Celeste (THE CHASE had that happen already with the Daleks). We learn a lot of other things from the DVD text info also.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 12 weeks ago

This was another new story to me and was not quite what I was expecting. The whole time slip thing seemed very woolley to me, and just convenient to the story, rather than making sense. Still fairly enjoyable, of the last three stories I think I have enjoyed it the most, since I hated the Web Planet, and the crusade seemed slightly weak when compared to the novel of the same title.

I spotted a young Boba Fett in there though.

It strikes me that the Doctor has a closer relationship with Vicki than he did with Susan. I must admit I thought she was going to leave at the end of this story, I was suprised when she boarded the TARDIS. Her character has really grown on me after a rocky start in 'the rescue'.

Altough the Doctor seems to have really mellowed and I have started liking him more(the change seems to have happened for me through DIOFE/The Rescue/The Romans), I have realized that Ian and Barabara are about to leave and for me they (particularly Ian) are still the real heores of the show at the moment. I wonder how I will see it once they are gone? Although I know Peter Purves will join, he is a Blue Peter presenter in my mind.

Anyway, 'The Space Museum' seems to be a solid Sci-fi story which seems a little derivative today, but may have been highly original in its day.

I have been traveling from TX to Belgium, so watched all of  'The Crusade' and 'the Space Museum' on the flight. Managed the first two episodes of 'The Chase' as well but need to catch up on the remaining four in the next couple of days.

• view recent forum posts?   5 years 12 weeks ago

Sprry disregard, found it - DOH!

• Doctor Who: Podshock 1st Virtual Meet-Up   5 years 12 weeks ago

I actually remember visiting this place back then in SL.  It looks so "funny" or dated now.

Tongue out

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 12 weeks ago

I am very much in-line with carriertone's original post & opinion. If there were ever a show where I embraced and/or even anticipated change it would be Doctor Who.

...perhaps the Doctor & his companions where diapers/depends with TARDIS technology built in?

Tongue out

• Pete Pixel at Second SL Meet Up   5 years 12 weeks ago

Look at him getting down!  I had a great time @ the SL meet-up and 'Pete Pixel' really helped out a lot showing me the ropes of SL and how it worked. He also gave me a fab tour of 'Katrina' aka Cardiff Bay, The Doctor Who Experience including the Doctor Who museum & 'New Gallifrey.'

Thanks James! Wink

-'Bullitt Swords' (SL alias)

• The Big Screen   5 years 12 weeks ago

You haven't lived until you have watched Doctor Who (or any of your favorite television shows) on the big screen with an auditorium full of apreciative fans.

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 12 weeks ago

you sir, are bitter. I can't wait for the Moffat era to begin. His stories were some of the best every season, and now he's running the show!? Awesome! How is bringing back the Doctor's face to the credits even slightly "gloss"? I think the next few years are going to be all about substance, if "Blink", "The Girl In The Fireplace", and "Silence In The Library" are any indication.

- C

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 12 weeks ago

This was another enjoyable story with two episodes recontructed by Loose Canon. In contrast, with previous stories this seemed a little rushed in 4 episodes. I recently listened to the audiobook of David Whitaker's novel of this story (read by William Russell) which was greatly expanded over the televized material. The added background on the novelization significantly adds to this story and I would recommend reading or listening to it.

When starting out on this excercise to watch everything from the beginning, I had thought that watching the historicals would be a chore whilst the 'sci-fi' episodes would be the highlights. The more I watch, the more I realize that in general the historicals are of very high quality and the futuristic/sci-fi episodes are often the poorer ones.

I was slightly disturbed to see all the 'blacked up' English actors in this story, but I guess that is just a sign of how times and attitudes have changed in the last 45 Years. Julian Glover and Jean Marsh were pretty good but seemed to be only in the story for a few minutes.

• Full Circle   5 years 12 weeks ago

The Doc's in trouble in the marsh and later in the starliner. I guess he's gone to help the Decider if he could or see what he could do to stop the problem but he really doens't have to get involved nor does he have to send K9 off to follow the marshmen. It's quite tragic that the marsh child follows the Doctor inside the starliner and the starliner people are not at all friendly. Some typical but funny Tom-isms: after the three stuffy deciders introduce themselves, he says, "And I"m the Doctor"  and "Why can't people just be nice to one another for once. I mean I"m not an alien and you don't want to drag me into a swamp." A beat and then, "You do."  I love how he just shakes up this entire culture. And they deserve it. There's some secret going on and at the time I should have expected some PLANET OF THE APES like revelation but I didn't. It's not unlike FACE OF EVIL or UNDERWORLD in this aspect.

There's a square purple paint spot where the Tardis was standing. Still, some of these outdoor shots, brief as they may be are some of the most well lit, beautiful outdoorsy scenes ever shot for the series. Despite the sound effects of something akin to a lift off the marshmen have taken the TARDIS into the cave, carrying it. Now it's been carried or taken before and the weight has never been an issue but it is here. And K9 is silly here, just getting his head knocked off iwthout defending himself. I HATE that the production team sees fit to get rid of him in these violent ways, just make him in the Tardis recharging if you have to. Up to the beheading point, he was really quite useful.

The violent antipathy between Varsh and Tylos (who was supposed to be tougher in the script...talk about going against type) was played down...way down to the point of non existance and truthfully it could have added something to this ep and others. The doors to the TARDIS don't seem to operate togethr, meaning interior and exterior. Adric slams one of the outer doors shut but enters the open interior doors. Why he did that? Panic over the spiders? Romana was still outside.

JNT was correct in not making the giant spiders of the original story. He'd seen a Blake's 7 ep (HARVET OF KARIOS or something) and rightly realized giant insects were not to be done correctly on tv yet, not by the BBC anyway. Instead, we get these smaller spider insects and while they are disturbing, if seen in a scene too long, they look really fake. Even so, Romana's fate in the  cliffhanger is pretty upsetting but why pick up a fruit/egg to hit the things with? And her earlier, "They're only spiders" is silly. They look menacing from the moment we see them and they should to her. I guess they were trying to emphazise the antagonism between teh Marshpeople, the Starliner people and the spiders...

another good ep, carried by Lalla at her best, Tom as his best, and the production and direction at their best, even with the young cast...if Doctor Who had gone on like this for ten more years, I would have watched it regularly and loved every moment of it. Romana, the Doctor, Adric and K9 made quite a watchable team and into trouble every minute and with interesting mysterious stories and new cultures to see in conflict...all that was needed was a bit more trips into history...this was just great and so promising for the future. Little did I know I should have enjoyed it while I could. It was all about to get ripped away from me and the audience to bcome something so different too fast.

for now, this ep stands as another strong one, entertaining and not yet too demanding but colorful, fast paced and very very watchable unlike LEISURE and MEGLOS and a lot of what was to follow (even some Davison stories were just...blah!). for me, this season is shaping up finally to be something of value and something different to DW before it.

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 12 weeks ago

I dn't know how to take this info. It reminds me of the JNT days when there was so much wrong with the show and he's come out and say, "And we've changed the music and we have a new opening titles sequence"  rather than, "ANd we've got a new script editor and a good story."

In that context, i'ts worrying because it might mean we've entered the JNT phase of the new show: all gloss and no substance but who knows? Next thing we'll hear "we've plenty of top notch guest stars who've not been in DW yet"  and "I want to kill off K9... again"

And oh yes, we're getting another animated story because THE INFINITE QUEST was so good. (?)!

Whatever, right now until Matt starts DW is dead to me. It's so sucky

• Forums   5 years 12 weeks ago

Now that the Doctor Who forums are closing down this month were are all those users heading too? Does anybody know?

Actually, it is next month (31st of July) which it and Outpost Gallifrey are going away leaving gallifreyone.com solely dedicated to the annual Doctor Who convention in Los Angeles.

Where the existing forum participates go is really anybody's guess at this point. Some may already participating in other forums already - in which case perhaps their activity in those other forums will increase. Some may seek out new forums. While others are hectically creating new forums in hopes to be the new home of those in question.

• The Minute Doctor Who Podcast   5 years 12 weeks ago

The latest episode is now online. This time I'm looking at the last Pertwee story.

Episode 16 - The Last Pertwee

• The "Checkout Line" Promo   5 years 12 weeks ago

Thanks! It was fun to produce and create. Yes, I played all the parts in it too (it's hard to find actors and actresses that will work between 3-4 AM for no pay -- Unlike myself, they're smart).

Thanks in advance. It does make a difference. This month alone, one of our monthly server fees we pay went up by 20% Frown

"I need a price check! Frank... I need a price check!"

• Kinda   5 years 12 weeks ago

I agree but what befuddles me is that, good shows but not as much a cult fandom, such as LOST IN SPACE, LAND OF THE GIANTS, THE TIME TUNNEL, MILLENNIUM, BLAKE'S SEVEN, SAPPHIRE AND STEEL, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, GALACTICA 1980, VOYAGERS, STAR TREK: the all of them including the animated one, LAND OF THE LOST, even JOSIE AND THE PUSSY CATS  and many many others...have all come out on dvd far far ahead of DOCTOR WHO...it just defies future thought ...one would have expected DW to have come out season by season and be finished by now...

but yeah KINDA is a good story. Not really scary but I don't scare easily but it was tense and it showcased Tegan, Adric and the new Doctor rather well and was a different kind of story for DW and TV in general. Of course the big snake can be ignored but the story is just so strange and werid and ...entertaining. Still, even though Janet is good in it..I somteimes wonder if it'd be a better show without Tegan and with just another colonist being taken over...

• MEGLOS 3-4   5 years 12 weeks ago
    3-4

3-4

Wow. That was tedious. At least now Tom is in full villain mode and doing a great job. For some reason his performance reminds me of Bela Lugosi's Dracula, maybe because he's seen menacing a female for most of the episode. Lalla just about holds her own against the Gaztak pirates who by ep4 or even this ep, get really annoying. Other writers and fans have compared them favorably to the scavengers in CREATURE FROM THE PIT but in that story, the Scavengers were not so prominently featured. The pirates, here, are and not really to the story's success, if there can be such a thing for this story. At least there is some action going on in this episode and in the the 4th. The music, as mentioned before, is very over the top now with the cliffhanger music saying, "DIE DIE Die" or something and Tom mugging it terribly...which just doesn't fit as it used to. There's one or two Tom-isms but the whole double thing is just...boring. Tom's performance as the Doctor when he's in the cell with Meglos...for some reason reminds me of Richard Basehart in VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. It was well known that Basehart grew weary of the show and yet grew to feel out the show to the very, bitter end...and that, even remaining professional, at times, he'd be somewhat...feeling good from liquid but who knows if that is true...perhaps Tom was doing the same. The Doctor comes off as a killer in a way and also ...he laughs uncontrollably when he tells Meglos that he, Meg, and the planet will be blown up. And why can't K9 just shoot the black man guard in stead of distracting him so that one of the Savants (Detrick?) can hit him over the head with a rock? Lexa's death scene...I thought it was one of those better moments but my memory cheated. Here it just seems like what it is: a tagged on scene to stretch things out. Even so the running time on ep4 is just like 19 minutes or so.

And was it just the copy I was watching or does Tom's hair look gray on some scenes? It is usually during the CSO stuff on Zultha Thura but Tom's hair at times looks gray and not as curly as it used to be.

The most interesting thing is that the theme music at the end of ep4 USED to be a somewhat different version. It was slowed down or something or speeded up. I can't recall. The video version seems "fixed" to the correct theme and it sounds like all the others. Or maybe  I just can't tell the difference anymore. It used to be very telling, the different version. Franklly, I think some of the reshowings also fixed that and I"m sure the DVD will fix it so that we get robbed of that little bit of strangeness. It sounded pretty good that way.

What else? Yeah---this was boring. Really boring. I can't imagine anyone but the most avid DW fan sticking around for this and then coming back next week. Sure, there were some long dull stretches in DW before but one could always count on something to enjoy, action, sets, music, a fast pace, an intersting idea or something...here, it just seems to drag on to the end. I must say that Meglos's true form is rather disturbing when we see it crawl  off the Earthling.

Other than the different sounding new new theme song for ep4...the best thing about ths is the ending...it ended.

• Gallifreyan Embassy Website Regenerated   5 years 12 weeks ago

Louis / Ken / James - The website is awesome - it looks a little intimidating at first, but with any regeneration, the fun is in discovering the new features!  Thank you for your great efforts.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 12 weeks ago

One of the wacky things about DW at this time and probably all the others is that...nothing is really what it seems or is explained enough. The Didoians: were they human at one time? Are they now? Are the two that do in the killer still alive? Are they ghosts? The whole thing is played out as if they are more than human, more than alive, as if they are ghosts or something supernatural. I love how the Doctor fell asleep when he was materializing the Tardis! Hartnell can get away with so much as his Doctor was getting on in years. I also love how Ian and Barbara interact with him now, so much less tnesion and more amusement at his oldmanness. And to me, he just seems slightly alien and not at all fully alien...very much an old crankly man who likes the people he is with but doesn't often want to show it. And Vicki and he just get on so well. It was...all...very comfortable...for now. And ther'es nothing wrong with that.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 12 weeks ago

KEYS I actually liked all the way through but found I didn't really miss the Doctor when he wasn't there, don't know why. I mean I always like it when he is there but I found the companions able to hold the show up for an ep or two, I mean there were three of them. JNt should have learned something from this but anyway...liked the story...

RESCUE: I like this but...it does'nt make sense does it? Vicki didn't know Bennett wasn't the killer? And why wouldn't he just kill her? Did he want a witness to back up his story? I thought the Doctor and Vicki's relationship got off to a great start and their scenes together are touching without being coy. Hated that Barbara killed that beast but it did add some tension and drama.

THE WEB PLANET: Well I too felt this was overlong...when I watched it all in one go. Recentlly I watched it ep by ep and with an open mind (if you had my mind you'd want it open too) and thinking it would be funny with all the technical faults (I had a copy of the DW Error Finder). I a watched it one ep at a time and found that they had indeed created an alien world. A very alien world...perhaps for the first and only time. Nothing is human in this but of course you need to suspend disbelief...

THE ROMANS was another I entered into with an open mind and wiht the thought to watch only one ep at a time. It was on the first time I viewed it in the 80s during a channel's intermittent Colin showings so I really wanted to see Colin! Oh my! Needless to say times change and I'd rather see any Hartnell than any Colin story but never mind...ROMANS nowadays in viewing it ep by ep...in fact, I enjoyed the first ep so much I watched another one or two. It's not bad. It's not terribly funny but there are some menacing scenes especially as Ian and his ally escape but have to leave Barbara in Nero's grip....literally. The slapstick doesn't work much but ti does'nt take away from the rest and a historical is purely refreshing in ANY era of DW. If you look at this as a part of DW history and try to take it for what it was...experimental...in  a way..it's not that bad. I love that the travelers are there for a long time (as in MARCO POLO), that the TARDIS fell down a hill or something, and that they stay in a house vacated by the owner. There is danger and quite a few deaths going on and Hartnell is just...amusing throughout and even seems to fight well in one or two scenes, I think. The Doc and Vicki are getting along; Ian and Barbara seem to be having a romance of sorts and things just seem so...dangerous and yet relaxed all at once. It's like...well, like traveling in a time machine should be...IMO of course

• MEGLOS 3-4   5 years 12 weeks ago

Welcome to the newly upgraded site. I am glad you were able to sign on.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)