• Tin Dog Podcast   5 years 5 weeks ago

hi. any ideas or requests for my 100th show?

• [POSSIBLE SPOILER] Retro Console Room & Ep 1 Villain?   5 years 5 weeks ago

That's great. To each their own I guess. As for the crew not taking the blame, well, if Tennant needed the time off, then he should have been fired and that would have given him the time off. I don't entirely blame him though. If he wanted the time off the crew, whomever that may be, RTD should have said, okay but we need to make a show here. And hired a new Doctor. Maybe that wouldn't have worked but neither is this , at least it's not working for me. At all. I hate every special that we've had with the BIG exception of CHRISTMAS INVASION of course. That was marvelous. I also seem to think VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED was okay but not terribly okay. And I like TWO, count em TWO or maybe THREE, count em, THREE scenes in the tepid RUNAWAY BRIDE. NEXT DOCTOR: awful from start to finish just about with the possible exception of the last scene but again, I'm sick and tired of the Oh poor lonely me Doctor. Boring already. And huge giant spetacle that makes no sense is boring too. PLANET OF THE DEAD? Dead to me already forgotten. I tried to watch it again recently and didn't get past the STUPID "Easter Egg" scene or whatever it was the Doc was doing on the bus. I'm sorry, I know you like it and you have a right to like it but I hate it and believe it to be one of the main reasons I now Hate DW. and if I'm not mistaken didn't it get lower ratings than all the other specials and the 4th season? How anyone who is not a die hard fan stayed with it is beyond me unless everyone who watches DW is a die hard fan.

• [POSSIBLE SPOILER] Retro Console Room & Ep 1 Villain?   5 years 5 weeks ago

The hiatus was all Tennant's fault, not the crew's. He had to have the time off to do Hamlet. I just wanted to make sure the blaim goes where it should.Although, I do agree that it was harmful to the show, no matter why it happened.

As far as the quality of the specials goes, I personally have watched the first half of The Next Doctor 6 or 7 times, but after the first time I always turn it off once the Cyber King becomes the plot. The first half is FANTASTIC though! Also, I have re-watched Planet of the Dead 2 or 3 times since first viewing as well. I think it's just a fun episode, and the first of the holiday specials since the 2005 reboot that I've actually enjoyed so far. However, the series 4 finale left me a bit cold, so I'm hoping the rest of the 2009 specials are good, or at least as good as Planet of the Dead. I think the finale just had too much stuff going on.

• [POSSIBLE SPOILER] Retro Console Room & Ep 1 Villain?   5 years 5 weeks ago

Sorry what I mean is the quality. I haven't enjoyed a special since CHRISTMAS INVASION or maybe a bit of VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED but to me the proving point for the new series is whether or not I want to rewatch the story. I've watched DOOMSDAY about two dozen times, no kidding. I watched Rose at least four times, EMPTY CHILD at least seven times, PARTING OF THE WAYS about five times, HUMAN NATURE four or five times  etc etc. I can't say I ever want to watch PLANET OF THE DEAD or NEXT DOCTOR ever again. IF Moffat stays with his track record (BLINK was awesome but barely had the Doctor in it) he'll do fine. But  I just hope he stays away from stuff like TIMECRASH and using old ideas over and over and over and over. The fact that they are saying they are changing the cosmetic stuff like the opening visual or the TARDIS (glad, I hate the coral bit and that new console room a lot) and maybe the theme song or whathave you AND that they might be using Daleks and they might be doing an Indiana Jones style story and have Nazis makes me really really really worried. I can compare it to TRIAL because what rumors we have now make me think the quality will be as bad as TRIAL and I, for one, I don't care about ratings at all. I just know what i like.   And I don't mean to be disrespecftul even though I can come off that way at times. I"m sorry about that. I just hate to see this great show go down the tubes the way it already has. I also think the hiatius or whatever they are calling it was a big mistake.

- Susan 10          - Zoe 11                   - Adric 7        - Captain Jack 10

- Ian 10             - Liz 10                    - Nyssa 10              - Martha 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 10       - Tegan 10              - Donna 10
    - Vicki 10           - Joe Grant 10            - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10      - Sara Jane 10             - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8  -2          - Harry 10             - Mel 8
    - Ben 10            - Leela 10                  - Ace  9
    - Polly 10           - K9 10                     - Grace 10
    - Jamie 12 +1         - Romana I 10           - Rose 10
    - Victoria 10       - Romana II 10           - Mickey 10

Sorry I don't know how to do the colors

Using the rich editor (which should be on by default, but if not, you can choose it by clicking "Input format" on the bottom of the message text field), you can select the text you want to change color and then click on the "A" icon with the heavy line under it in the tool bar to change the colors.

I took the liberty of changing the format a little Mr. M, so that we don't have to scroll down endless lists. Hope you don't mind.
    - Susan 10          - Zoe 11                   - Adric 7 -2            - Captain Jack 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 10       - Tegan 10              - Donna 10
    - Vicki 10           - Joe Grant 10            - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10      - Sara Jane 10             - Peri 10
    - Dodo 10          - Harry 10 +1              - Mel 8
    - Ben 10            - Leela 10                  - Ace  9
    - Polly 10           - K9 10                     - Grace 10
    - Jamie 11          - Romana I 10           - Rose 10
    - Victoria 10       - Romana II 10           - Mickey 10
  • PodShock on Podcast Alley   5 years 5 weeks ago

Thanks Dave. I often wonder how many people out there still use Podcast Alley today. I need to re-add the links to it on the new regenerated website.

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 5 weeks ago

Outside of the fact that I was literally just finishing breakfast before we began recording this episode and feeling a bit off my game (takes a bit before the coffee kicks in -- actually I think I ran out of coffee that day, I had make do with emergency rations), the fact of the matter is that I had not seen/heard The Tenth Planet in years. So I wasn't prepared to review it for this episode.

So I will have to revisit The Tenth Planet again soon and give a proper review of it.

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 5 weeks ago

Thanks Dave... It looks like you grabbed that image of the book using your new "web cam" camera (Logitech QuickCam). It seems to be working well for you. It did well on your re-launch show of daveac vblog last week too.

• [POSSIBLE SPOILER] Retro Console Room & Ep 1 Villain?   5 years 5 weeks ago

Comparing this to The Trial of a Time Lord is way off though. The Trial season had way lower viewer figures, as The Next Doctor was the 2nd most watched program on Christmas day on BBC, with a peak at 12.58 million viewers. The stories of the last two specials were not nearly as weak as the stories for The Trial either.

Obviously people are still loving the Doctor, so I don't see it ending anytime soon. I have a feeling that Matt Smith's 1st episode will have HUGE viewer figures. People are excited to see what he will be like as the Docotr, and what direction Moffat will be taking the show. So far, Moffat's episodes over the past few years have been some of the most well received, which is bringing a lot of excitement for the future of the show. Even though there have been a few mis-steps, I am really enjoying the specials and can't wait for the next one. And I am not alone in that feeling. I think the cast and crew have done an amazing job of re-inventing the Doctor for a whole new generation, while keeping most of the old viewers as well.

Hurt Heal: The Companions

- Ace  9
    - Grace 10
    - Rose 10
    - Mickey 10
    - Captain Jack 10
    - Martha 10

Ok - this may take a little patience since the 3.0 website 'posting' buttons are different from the 2.0 website. I've cleaned up a few things, but this is good - we're getting the hang of it.  This post is up to Chase's post - Keep going everyone!
  • The Minute Doctor Who Podcast   5 years 5 weeks ago

Doctor Who Mastermind

I'd like to try a new things for my podcast along the lines of the BBC show Mastermind.

Have a look here for details of how to get involved.

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 5 weeks ago

Good show guys.

Just a image of 'The Tenth Planet' Book

save to see larger size:-

Tenth Planet Book

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 5 weeks ago

I actually liked LOVE AND MONSTERS but haven't seen it more than once and have no real desire to but I also like THE CHASE but because it's so bad. I mean it's bad. The production is bad, the story is bad but in hindsight a chase through time is an exciting idea but here it's just played for comedy and...it is laughable but for all the wrong reasons. Very laughable IMO>

TIME MEDDLER: Not sure I agree. I liked this one and I think it is the basis for much of the later stuff, TIME MONSTER, the whole Master thing, KING'S DEMONS, MARK OF THE RANI, and others. I didn't find it boring at all and found the companions to be funny and interesting. For once we deal with them trying to find food and wonderng what would happen to them if the Doc is gone for good. I like how the two interact with the townspeople, with Stephen defending Vicki. Vicki would seem to have the upper hand being the longer comp.  I also found the Doctor/Monk rivalry interesting in that the older looking Doctor had the upper hand part of the time but the Monk...he seemed more selfish to me than anything else. He really caused the deaths and suffering and...was that village woman raped? The Doctor has a good rapport with one of the village woman. More could have been done with the Vikings themselves and the danger of being in that time. I found the dialog sharp and witty enough and it was interesting to see the other TARDIS, something we're too used to now but taken from the POV of the time...that this was the first other TARDIS we saw and the first of the Doc's people that we saw...this is really well done and entertaining.

Sorry I don't know how to do the colors

- Grace 10
    - Rose 10
    - Mickey 10
    - Captain Jack 10
    - Martha 10

• Warrior's Gate   5 years 5 weeks ago

This ep is not as good as the first but it's still pretty strong. I love Adric and K9 walking around in the void and the two work well together and must appeal to children everywhere. We get a bit more info but not much. I don't understand why, having chosen to go outside in the first place, Romana is so anatagonistic to Rorvik and his men. The Gundan scenes could have been better and been more action oriented but that could be Tom Baker wanting it to be funny...which it's only slightly funny and we've heard a lot of his Tomisms by now ("You're a machine, I usually get on so well with machine" and "He must have forgotten his lines") and they're not that good to be honest but okay in this. Also why is Romana screaming her head off when she's already met the Tharil and it wasn't violent or anything...maybe this one looked violent because it was attacked or hurt or whatever but it's the same one, Biroc, I think. Tom's meeting with Rorvik is well done but the fact is that nothing much happens in this episode after Romana is captured and the Doctor is found by the traders. But still that's enough I guess as it's not boring. I still want to know what the mysteries here are and the way out. ANd poor K9 will he ever be all right again? It was also sort of set up that Romana might leave when she tells Adric she and Doc might go their separate ways. Which makes Adric seem upset...he often sees them as his family now and likes it the way it is and relies on the Doctor ("Oh I wish the Doctor were here.").

- Susan 10
    - Rose 10
    - Mickey 10
    - Captain Jack 10
    - Martha 10

• Another Forum Option   5 years 5 weeks ago
    Hmm

While I can handle the new site as is, I must admit I would prefer a full-on forum for posting.

I used to play on a Risk-clone game site that had a traditional forum built into the rest of the site, so it was still only one account.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 5 weeks ago

This was an interesting story. For me it is the first hint at what we have now. i.e. a historical episode with a sci-fi twist in it, as opposed to the previous historicals which merely place our heroes in a certain period in history with just the natural intrique of the day.

The Meddler is not mean spirited and obviosly want to help the injured Saxon. Likewise I do not think he would have killed the Doctor, Vicki or Steven, just get them out the way until he's done.

Got to say the brash nature they gave Steven is a little annoying (though different from his behavior in the Chase), I hope his character will settle down in the coming episodes. Vicki is great but keeps saying things that place her from the Sixties rather than the Future.

I found the whole story, a little slow and got to the end of episode 4, thinking that very little had actually happened. There was some nice farce with everyone missing each other between the village and the monastry. The twist at the end was good. I think I recall that the Doctor does meet the Meddler again, so that should be interesting. As with the Chase, this season just has two many people being hit over the head (another two in this story).

So now I have watched the first 2 seasons, only twenty eight  or so more seasons to go (plus a movie and some specials).

I think a lot more reconstructions are coming up in the near future.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 5 weeks ago

Well Chase,

I kind of disagree, I enjoyed the Chase quite alot. Although much of the action near the end (and in the time chase interludes) was cheesy, I found it no more so than in many other of the Hartnell stories.

The solutions in many of modern Who stories seem corney also, so no change in 45 years.

Perhaps the Chase, is a little like Love and Monsters, it is either loved or hated. I felt the whole story was a romp, good fun and a fitting goodbye to Ian and Barabara, although the Ian getting hit over the head joke was getting boring (I can think of at least 3 instances but I'm sure there are more).

As I said above my biggest problem with the story was that the Daleks didn't just build a time machine, they built a Tardis (bigger on the inside).

- Susan 10
    - Grace 10
    - Rose 10
    - Mickey 10
    - Captain Jack 10
    - Martha 10
  • IMDB confirm Finale cast? ***Possible Spoilers***   5 years 5 weeks ago

I'm sure they are going to play the Doc's parents. Just a guest though.

• [POSSIBLE SPOILER] Retro Console Room & Ep 1 Villain?   5 years 5 weeks ago

I'ts all part of the really strong...end of DW. Or maybe it will drag on for another four years of medocrity and silliness ala TRIAL and McCoy's first season or so...with and far between gems of stories...we shall see

Oh and does this mean whenever there is a new Doctor we're going to have to endure a year off and just have just crappy crapola specials every holiday?

I mean if history repeats itself and they fire Matthew Smith for the bad scripts they are writing, are we gonna have to wait another year before a new Doctor appears? :)

Honestly I predict if the show comes back with weak stories, weak scripts, and weak motivation, DW will lose ratings and lose Tennant's girl fans who have moved on to other fandoms and other things...already I see a loss of interest in the younger fans...and who can blame them? ...I mean are we going to have to wait until  a new Doc comes round? And how long? A year or more? Or will it just be cancelled....twice like history had it in the past?

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)