• Primeval being axed?   5 years 5 weeks ago

It's sad but it proves now that only the BBC are intrested in making decent British drama.  What has happened to those one-off drama seasons that ITV used to run?  I also would like to see what budget ITV are working with - this series of Primeval was a co-production with a German TV company.

I've read somewhere that the creators had a few overseas investors lined up for series 4 but ITV still didn't want it.  I hope they don't leave the show the way it ended.  This new hollywood movie will be a utter disaster, I know it.

There's rumours going around that Impossible Pictures may sell it to another channel.  Sky seem the most likely to pick it up, along with the SCI-FI channel (the UK one that actually shows SCI-Fi and not wrestling!) but I don't think they've done an orginal series in years.  Primeval is distrubted by BBC Worldwide, so maybe...

• 9 needs more love.   5 years 5 weeks ago

Maybe if there is indeed a big buget motion picture in the works w/ Russell T and Dr. #10 that that would be a big enough plum for Christopher to take a bite of.  I hope so, would that be great, the likes of Dr.s 8,9 & 10 in a big screen movie?  One can dream.

I feel like we never had a proper 'Doctor's' episode w/ the Three Doctors having poor Bill Hartnell confined to a few cameo's, and the Five Doctors w/out Tom Baker and a William Hartnell stand in.

• 9 needs more love.   5 years 5 weeks ago

Of course. It's just that I happened to notice that all the other Doctors had at least one post, while poor Chris had nothing yet and I had to fix that.

I do, however, believe that there IS a tendency to forget about Chris. However, I feel like this is starting to get better, particularly in the podcasting community, at least partly thanks to the guys at Radio Free Skaro who are doing commentaries on Season One episodes.

• American Accents   5 years 5 weeks ago

'What about James Marsters? I thought he was from England until I heard him in interviews. His accent is impeccable though. Maybe that's why he rarely plays American roles. And Hugh Laurie is a master of accents. He can switch back and forth between so many, it's crazy.'

Totally agree

PS -Carl you need to sort out your SIG link to twitter

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 5 weeks ago

Although I think Primeval has faults - it really is a developing into a really good Sci-Fi Show - so I've added my name to the petition.

• American Accents   5 years 5 weeks ago

How could I forget him!  I just watched that episode last month.  It seems to me that the key ingredient in putting on an American accent is to talk loudly, be abrupt and direct, wave a gun around indescriminantly and to if possible call people 'guys' or 'fellers'

haha.

If it's any consolation - we too are ashamed of Dick Van Dyke's turn as a chimney sweep.  Don't forget about Keanu Reeves in Bram Stokers Dracula.

I would like if we can agree that each person can vote once per calender day, rather than having to wait 24 hours since the last vote.

My schedule is such that sometimes I can be at the computer every day, but sometimes it may be early morning, other days lunch time or the evening.

It would appear that this forum reports posting times in local time (the old site referenced everything to EST). Does it show everything in the viewing users timezone, or is each entry recorded in the posters local time?

• American Accents   5 years 5 weeks ago

John Barrowman was born in Scotland, but has lived in the US since 1976, when he's not in the UK at least. He's technically a Scottish-American then?  Laughing

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 5 weeks ago

Wheather he is behind it or not, he makes a very convient target.  But if ye want to know more....   Follow me on twitter------>

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 5 weeks ago

Do you really reckon Michael Grade was behind this? If so that just goes to prove everything.

• American Accents   5 years 5 weeks ago

It's funny because we Brits often laugh at the number of American actors who's fail to pull off our accents. Dick Van Dyke in Marry Poppins is quite possibly the worst ever. Mind you there are exceptions, Brad Bit's Irish twang in Scratch is good, and Mel Gibson does a passable Scot in Braveheart (but then he should considering he's got roots in Scotland). As for the other way round surely one of the worst American accents was Captain Hopper in "Tomb of the Cybermen". Cory Johnson in "Dalek" is I'm sure American as he talks so in the "Confidential" episode.

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 5 weeks ago

Yes it's true.  Beeb news announcemnet and all.  Have forwarded a tweet of mine to ye Louis to get petitions signed to get it back/fire Grade/get it sold to someone who will care for it.  I think it deserves another chance (prefferably with Lucy Brown).  Thoughts?

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 5 weeks ago

This is from the BBC News site: Primeval axed after three series

Primeval axed after three series

Primeval cast members
    Primeval was shown on ITV1 on Saturday teatimes

Science fiction drama series Primeval has been axed after "three very successful series", ITV has confirmed.

Starring Ben Miller, Douglas Henshall, and ex-S Club 7 star Hannah Spearritt, the show followed a group of scientists studying prehistoric creatures.

"High quality drama remains a key part of the ITV schedule, although our current focus is on post-watershed production," ITV said in a statement.

The show had an average audiences of about five million this year.

The figure was down from around six million for the first two series.

Earlier this year, ITV announced 600 job cuts and says it is now aiming to cut a further £40m in 2010.

Primeval may have suffered because of the big-budget computer effects needed to generate its fantastical creatures.

Website Total Sci-Fi said it had been told by a source that Primeval's production team were "devastated" but that they had "every intention of keeping Primeval alive in other ways".

And she's gone!
    - Susan 10           - Zoe 11                  - Adric 7               - Martha 10
    - Ian 10              - Liz 10                    - Nyssa 10            - Donna 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 11       - Tegan 10
    - Vicki 10            - Joe Grant 10 (+1)     - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10        - Sara Jane 11           - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8             - Harry 11                 - Ace  10
    - Ben 10             - Leela 11                  - Grace 8
    - Polly 10            - K9 10                     - Rose 10
    - Jamie 13          - Romana I 10            - Mickey 8
    - Victoria 10        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 10
    _________________________________________________________________
    33: Mel 0 (-2)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 5 weeks ago

That is indeed what we are planning to do. Next up for review is Planet of the Daleks, the first story of the 2nd Doctor. To do this series of reviews we are breaking course with our usual goal of only reviewing titles available on DVD in region 1 and 2 (outside of new episodes being transmitted of course).

Planet of the Daleks is one of those stories in which all the episodes are missing unfortunately. Though there are audio and reconstructions available.

Also a couple of the regeneration and post-regeneration stories we have already reviewed in past episodes of Doctor Who: Podshock. In those cases, we may just discuss the regeneration aspect of the story instead of re-reviewing the whole thing again.

Keep on listening.

- Susan 10           - Zoe 11                  - Adric 7               - Captain Jack 10
    - Ian 10              - Liz 10                    - Nyssa 10            - Martha 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 11       - Tegan 10             - Donna 10
    - Vicki 10            - Joe Grant 10           - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10        - Sara Jane 11 (+1)    - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8             - Harry 11                 - Mel 2 (-2)
    - Ben 10             - Leela 11                 - Ace  10
    - Polly 10            - K9 10                    - Grace 8
    - Jamie 13          - Romana I 10           - Rose 10
    - Victoria 10        - Romana II 10          - Mickey 8
    Looks like Mel is going down fast!Wink
  • Doctor Who: Radio Free Skaro   5 years 5 weeks ago

An amazing new Radio Free Skaro episode!:

Steven, one mighty pillar of the tripod that is the Three Who Rule, doesn’t often succumb to the base emotions. Indeed, compared to the gutter-dwelling antics of Pedantor and the frankly borderline illegal conduct of Warren, Steven’s unflappable facade is nigh-invulnerable. But when the fate of Pete Tyler in “Father’s Day” comes into play, all propriety goes out the window. Tune in and hear his descent into madness…if you dare.

Direct download: rfs145.mp3

Check http://www.radiofreeskaro.com for your Radio Free Skaro needs!

iTunes users can subscribe at here.

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 5 weeks ago

Haven't had a chance to listen to 153 yet, but I just wanted to say that I hope as part of this new feature on the various regenerations (which I think is a great idea) that you guys will look at the first story of the subsequent doctor as well as the story in which the regeneration actually takes place, because it's usually in these subsequent stories that we see most of the impact of the regeneration explored.

I can't recall the plot details of Power of the Daleks, but Spearhead From Space, Castrovalva, The Twin Dilemma, Time and the Rani and The Christmas Invasion are all stories where the consequences of the regeneration are inherent to the plot, and we see the Doctor come to terms with his new identity over the course of the story.  This is in contrast to Robot, for example, where as I recall they made a point of departing from this pattern, instead emphasising how smooth the transition was and jumping straight into the story.

I'm kind of hoping the Matt  Smith regeneration is a Robot-style more confident regeneration.  I've really enjoyed all those other stories dealing with post-regeneration trauma and instability (particularly Castrovalva, which I love) but we've seen that a lot now, and it'd be refreshing to go somewhere different with it...

• Dodged a Bullet??   5 years 5 weeks ago

YES!  Jekyll was terrific.  It takes a lot to creep me out, but when James Nesbit would tilt his head and get that weird grin w/ the vacant eyes - wow!  I understand he won an award for his portrayal...justly deserved.  Michelle Ryan also was excellent.  I feel in good hands w/ Stephen Moffat at the helm, and I look forward to lots and lots of plot twists.

• American Accents   5 years 5 weeks ago

I thought John Barrowman was Scottish - I saw an interview w/ he and his parents and they DEFINITELY were Scottish.  In fact, he said in the interview when he visits home he speaks in his 'normal' voice - which is a somewhat thick Scottish brogue.

- Susan 10          - Zoe 11                   - Adric 7               - Captain Jack 10
    - Ian 10             - Liz 10                    - Nyssa 10              - Martha 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 11 (+1) - Tegan 10              - Donna 10
    - Vicki 10           - Joe Grant 10            - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10      - Sara Jane 10             - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8            - Harry 11                  - Mel 4 (-2)
    - Ben 10            - Leela 11                  - Ace  10
    - Polly 10           - K9 10                     - Grace 8
    - Jamie 13          - Romana I 10           - Rose 10
    - Victoria 10       - Romana II 10           - Mickey 8
  • I AM A DALEK, RES CASKET, PIRATE LOOP, SICK BUILDING   5 years 5 weeks ago

The Tenth Doctor books have been hit or miss, but mostly hits with me. The Torchwood books are really good too, some are better than the show. I really enjoyed the TW book, Trace Memory. I wish they filmed that script.

• Dodged a Bullet??   5 years 5 weeks ago

Jekyll was a phenominal show! I had no idea where it would end when I watched the first episode. That show (as well as his DW episodes) is proof, to me at least, that Doctor Who is in very capable hands with Steven Moffat. I didn't have that big of a problem with the accents though, I just sat back and enjoyed the show. Just pure brilliance!

• American Accents   5 years 5 weeks ago

• American Accents   5 years 5 weeks ago

Actually, Henry Van Statten was portrayed by New Orleans born Corey Johnson, and Lazlo was played by Ryan Carnes who was born in Pittsfield, Illinois. Also, Linda Marlowe is Australian. If there was something wrong with their accents, it's not because they're Brits. Also, John Barrowman is American, and Peri's accent was horrible.

I just wanted to clear things up a bit.

- Carl

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)