- Susan 4                    - Zoe 11                       - K9 8
    - Ian 12                      - Liz 8                         Adric 3 (-2)       - Mickey 6
    - Barbara 11                  - The Brigadier 15         - Nyssa 10           - Martha 7
    - Vicki 8                      - Jo Grant 13                 - Tegan 8           Donna 11
    - Stephen 10                 - Sarah Jane 14 (+1)      - Turlough 8
    - Polly 10
    Harry 12                   - Peri 10
    - Ben 10                       - Leela 12                   - Ace  7

- Jamie 14                    - Romana I 11             - Rose 12
    Victoria 8                    - Romana II 8             - Captain Jack 9

__________________________________________________________________________

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• The Minute Doctor Who Podcast   5 years 25 weeks ago

The latest episode is now online. This time the Mastermind competition starts.

Episode 17 - Mastermind with Tony Gallichan

- Susan 4                    - Zoe 11                       - K9 8
    - Ian 12                      - Liz 8                         - Adric 5             - Mickey 6
    - Barbara 11 (+1)          - The Brigadier 15         - Nyssa 10           - Martha 7
    - Stephen 10                 - Sarah Jane 13            - Turlough 8
    - Polly 10
    Harry 12                   - Peri 10
    - Ben 10                       - Leela 12                   - Ace  7

- Jamie 14                    - Romana I 11             - Rose 12
    Victoria 8 (-2)              - Romana II 8             - Captain Jack 9

__________________________________________________________________________

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Taras' Big Finish rating omnibus   5 years 26 weeks ago

which ep had the return of the KEEPER OF TRAKEN Master? that was a bloody surrpise and fascinating to boot. I give that  a ten if I could remember which audio that was.

• Staggering Stories Podcast   5 years 26 weeks ago

Have we woken from our 1968 coma?  Yes, Staggering Stories Podcast 48: Our Segments Overrunneth is now available!

We cover:
    Doctor Who: The Invasion.
    Ashes to Ashes.
    Primeval.
    Real Keith's Escape Pod Discs.
    Plus, as ever, lots of news (Doctor Who, Torchwood, Primeval and more!)

More madness than seeing Gene Hunt in Jackanory!

Available on iTunes and most other major podcast directory sites.

We also have a Staggering Stories Facebook group.
    You can drop us a line at show@staggeringstories.net or visit our Main Site or Blog

- Susan 4                    - Zoe 11                       - K9 8
    - Ian 12                      - Liz 8                          - Adric 5             - Mickey 6
    - Vicki 8                      - Jo Grant 13 (+1)        - Tegan 8           Donna 11

- Stephen 10                 - Sarah Jane 13           - Turlough 8
    - Polly 10
    Harry 12                    - Peri 10
    - Ben 10                       - Leela 12                     - Ace  7

- Jamie 14                    - Romana I 11              - Rose 12
    Victoria 10                 - Romana II 8               - Captain Jack 9

__________________________________________________________________________

31: Grace 0 (-2)

32: Dodo

33: Mel

- Susan 4                    - Zoe 11                       - K9 8                 - Captain Jack 9
    - Ian 12                      - Liz 8                          - Adric 4              - Mickey 6
    - Barbara 10               - The Brigadier 15         - Nyssa 10           - Martha 7 (+1)
    Vicki 8 (-2)              - Jo Grant 12                 - Tegan 8             Donna 11

- Stephen 10                 - Sarah Jane 13           - Turlough 8
    - Polly 10
    Harry 12                    - Peri 10
    - Ben 10                       - Leela 12                     - Ace  7

- Jamie 14                    - Romana I 11              - Grace 2
    Victoria 10                 - Romana II 8               - Rose 12

__________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo

33: Mel

- Ian 12                      - Liz 8                          - Adric 4 (plus 1) = 5             - Mickey 6
    - Barbara 10                - The Brigadier 15         - Nyssa 10           - Martha 6
    - Vicki 10                     - Jo Grant 12               - Tegan 8             Donna 11

- Stephen 10                 - Sarah Jane 13           - Turlough 8
    - Polly 10
    - Harry 12                    - Peri 10
    - Ben 10                       - Leela 12                     - Ace  7

- Jamie 14                    - Romana I 11              - Grace 2
    - Victoria 12 (+1)MINUS TWO =10           - Romana II 8               - Rose 12

__________________________________________________________________________

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 26 weeks ago

Yeah, I tend to forget about this story when saying that the only bad story in Hartnell's time was THE CHASE. This one can be equally bad at times. It's very old hat: the Amazons in space vs the ugly but kind monsters who can't breath like us. It's very pre Flash Gordon and the desert planet, if photos and recons can be taken into consideration is also old hat but well visuallized, probably.

The recon and the audio and the rest all show one thing: lots of dead time is given over to Chumblies moving about, examining, etc. It seems to move at a snail's pace and really even once put me to sleep. The whole story is sleep inducing especially in eps 1 and 2. It does pick up a bit in ep3 and 4 and yeah, they leave the bints to die which is as it should be. Tough, too bad so sad for them. They were evil.

Hartnell, it must be said, is in top form in this but I feel the same way as you do about not just Steven but Vicki as well. Vicki seems to me in this to be annoying and grating, Steven arrogant and tough armed and not in a good way. He was not endearing in this but in some of the later ones, he is IMO. Vicki just seems ..wrong in this so maybe she had Barbara's lines or Ian's. As for saying an alien female can't overpower a male Earthlings...that's sexist isn't it? Perhaps Ian was also to be overcome by a female alien Dravhin. Which brings me to one silly point of my own: the alien "clones" of Maaga or whatever her name is: do they remind anyone of the female clone guards and warriors of Servalan in BLAKE'S SEVEN? they do me. I mean...you know what I mean.

From what we can tell the Rills were interesting looking and ugly but it is nice to have an alien race that cannot breath our air. I'm not sure which came first LOST IN SPACE's THE GOLDEN MAN or this but both show that the pretty, handsome looking beings can be the evil ones and the ugly not so good looking beings can be the allies. All in all, not as bad as THE CHASE and it holds together story and plot wise but oh boy, does it move slowly at first...and it's not exactly filled with dynamic ideas OR performances except for Hartnell. His old man Doctor is at the fore and his guardedness with the female aliens at first makes me think he knew all about how evil they were from the outset. Brilliant that.

• The Keeper of Traken   5 years 26 weeks ago

So it ends and so well too. What struck me most was that Adric was pretty much the savior here, acting on the Doctor's work and advice but free to do so and Nyssa pretty much helped him, watching him do the hard stuff. Also: Adric's most sympathetic here to the Traken way of life and seems very upset that perhaps they will have to destroy the source. He's a much rounded character here and the build up from his start is rather good.

Anthony Ainley does a great job in this ep but so does Tom Baker. "I used to know a remedy for mad dogs..."  the Doctor finally is told it is the Master...or rather shown it is the Master. The Master Tardis scene is a bit strange in set design but no matter, it's a great scene and how the Doctor gets out is dramatic in itself but...is that the way out of the dimensional threshold? In any event the entire thing is well done if a bit ...not explained in every detail.

Again, it is Adric who saves the day by clocking in the two numbers of the three so that the Doc can get out and clock in the last one. And the Doc is shown as falliable as the end is a shocking ending...the Master takes over Tremas's body. Now, here it's not explained or shown that Tremas was killed in any way...that comes later and that's  a good thing...for it  keeps us guessing if Tremas can somehow come out of the Master's hold...

JNT it has been said, added the Master to this story. If so that's yet ANOTHER brilliant thing JNT has done for DW in this season. Bravo to him. Hope he keeps that inventiveness up and not introduce any companions who just start out in mid season...or anything like that. Or let female companions take over again....when this is working out so well and so fresh...

Anyway, a good episode, a great ending to a great story with fleshed out planet, fleshed out characters and a bit wonky science but great ideas and great acting for the most part. Nyssa still did not really make an impression. Too bad Beavers couldn't play the Master longer in this form but Ainley will follow to do a GREAT job too.

My clean-up didn't work as well as I hoped.

- Susan 4                    - Zoe 11                       - K9 8 (-2)           - Captain Jack 9
    - Ian 12                      - Liz 8                          - Adric 4              - Mickey 6

- Stephen 10                 - Sarah Jane 13           - Turlough 8
    - Polly 10
    - Harry 12                    - Peri 10
    - Ben 10                       - Leela 12                     - Ace  7

- Jamie 14                    - Romana I 11              - Grace 2
    - Victoria 12 (+1)           - Romana II 8               - Rose 12

__________________________________________________________________________

32: Dorthea "Dodo" Chaplet

33: Melanie "Mel" Bush

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 26 weeks ago

Well, the Chumblies what can one say! Cute Dalek wannabees. Maybe I'll build one after I finish my Dalek, though it will have to come after the K9, the TARDIS, the War Machine and the Mechanoid (Just joking about the last three - as they are too big to store).

It seemed to me that this whole story was a moral tale about racism with a bit of 'beauty and the beast' thrown in i.e. "don't look at me, I'm too horrible.". However, it seemed to me that there was an unintended sexist undertone - Women are unreasonable, manipulative and evil (but we all know that Kiss- just joking!! )

Interesting comment from Peter Purves at the beginning of the Loose Canon recon, about how the scripts were stiil being written for the original TARDIS crew at this point and that he got Barbara's part. Which was why he was beaten in the fight with the Drahvin. I wonder who got Ian's lines/actions? Vicki??

I must say I was a little surprised that everyone was kind of okay about leaving the Drahvin to die in the last episode, there seemed very little soul searching or guilt.

I am not taking to Steven too much, which is surprising as I grew up watching Peter Purves several time a week on Blue Peter and was looking forward to these stories. His character is just to brash, wreckless and ready to blame others (as I write this I have just finished the third part of The Mythmakers - so the comment is applies to more than this episode and the Time Meddler). With Vicki I disliked her in the first story, but quickly grew fond of her, I don't find this happening with Steven, even though I want to like him. He certainly is not areplacement for Ian.

Overall, this was a middle of the road story, not brilliant, not terrible. The Rill were interesting and the Chumblies quite cute. Not too taken with the Drahvin though.

• The Keeper of Traken   5 years 26 weeks ago

Gosh, that was a good episode! I mean ep3's are not often but this one was just bloody fun, bloody brilliant, and bloody good. I'm sorry but I didn't notice it then but I do now: Sarah Sutton's just not very good an actress. And people pick on Matthew. I just don't find her very believable. Likeable, yes, believeable no. Still she gets a chance to shine here and warm to the character and make the audience like her, which she invariably did.

There's action galore here for once and the sets that involved the chase and just about everything else are brilliant, colorful in all the right places, and dark in the others. The cell looks like a dank cell for once and the tree groves and sanctum are just all well made and well filmed.

Tom has a ton of Tom-isms that are just...fun, funny and fit in well. There's more in this episode than the last two or three. I love his "what can't be cured must be endured" and then Adric's' "that's the silliest thing you've ever said," to which Tom replies, "Yes, yes, shh, don't listen to me, I never do."  And there's much more. Someone says there's snot coming out his nose in the cell scene and I don't recall seeing it on first viewing nor in this one but if  you look for it, I think you'll see it as once before I did. Also at times, Tom plays it pretty straight and again, he reminds me, I don't know why, of Richard Basehart in VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA particulary the later VOYAGEs. It could be that Basehart, like Tom, was unphazed by the bad scripts even though hating them, and that he felt the only way to cope (besides drinking, like Basehart) was to play it competely straight at times with some quips at others. The two have a lot more in common than one might first think, which is why I think a fan ficction writer once had the companions wonder if Admiral Nelson was somehow the Doctor regenrated when the Doc was lost and had his memory taken or something.

Anyhow I don't see the science in the Keepership...it is really more like magic. Bryne supposedly used some of the Space: 1999 concepts in METAMORPH to copy but it still comes off as magic here, but in 1999 at least some attempt was made to call it psyche or something or other. Not to matter, I've always accepted DW as magical anyway, I just hate it when it gets all  hypocritical and starts behaving like science is the only thing as in Pertwee stories or as in "there is no magic" type stories. Clearly in this DW universe, there is. I also hate Traken. The politics and agendas are worse than on Earth and clearly they are not a peace loving society. Even those not taken over the ...well, the Master in his emaciated form frm DEADLY ASSASSin...a LOVELY touch to have him back in THAT form! And if anything he looks even more creepy as if he's tried to regenerate again and failed or something. He has some more flesh on him. And looks burned! Ahhh, yes, those not taken over the Master include almost everyone but Kassia but the Fosters can be bribed, Kutura doesn't trust Tremas or the Doctor and is generally stupid as is Luvic.

The storm: laughable. Again, I've mentioned Irwin Allen shows and if they did one thing correctly (alot of things in my book imo but...) it was storms. A windstorm on LOST IN SPACE is a lot more dangerous looking than what was going on in the lightning wind storm in this ep and it just looks silly here in KEEPER OF TRAKEN. Having an old woman and a goofy guy move around while wind and lighting effects lamely try to show us the "danger" is just...lame. Ditto the scenes of the Doctor (notice how Baker goes for laying around on the ground with Sarah!) and company falling on their asses during the said "storm". Not a good storm to be honest but it does the job I guess. Also note how Sarah touches the Tardis doors and they almost open.

And again, the writer of this story is giving Adric mature things to say and do and in a way making him more mature than the Doctor and even advanced beyond maths and in science. I also like how Nyssa mentions Adric's name before the Doctor's when talking about them in one part. That says something. Adric is sort of like Robin to Tom's Batman in this ep and I wished to heaven that this could/would have continued. In the next story we get, unbelievably an air stewardess chiming in "for what it's worth" as she puts it herself. And it's pretty poor to see the early Tegan trying to be all serious and scientific.

I like the ion bonder. Why didn't the Doctor keep it for later eps? Or maybe he did? I can't recall but he certainly didn't use it. I do think it would have been yuet another problem solver like K9 or even THE TARDIS or the Sonic Screwdriver. But for pete's sake, the Doc has to have some leverage over something. He certainly can't fight...not really. I know that the Pertwee Doctor could but...in all truth, he hardly even had the upper hand in physical confrontations most of the time and as for the other Doctors...I guess they could get lucky in some fights but they were no Bruce Lee...

All in all,   a good ep to bring back the Master and it's particulary cool that the Melkur is actually the Master's TARDIS! Who can't wait to see the Doc and the Master meet in the last ep? THIS is how to do a Master returns story, not...well you know what i mean.

Globe trotting at the moment. Belgium and the Netherlands last week, Tokyo this week (it's really difficult to keep track of the 24 hour delay thing!! As Idion says above,

what's up with the editor? It is behaving really oddly, this keep rearranging themselves as I type.

- Susan 4                     - Zoe 11                        - K9 10               - Captain Jack 9
    - Ian 12                       - Liz 8                          - Adric 4                - Mickey 6
    - Barbara 10                 - The Brigadier 15         - Nyssa 10              - Martha 6 (-2)
    - Vicki 10                     - Jo Grant 12                 - Tegan 8             Donna 11

- Stephen 10                 - Sarah Jane 13           - Turlough 8
    - Polly 10
    - Harry 12                    - Peri 10
    - Ben 10                       - Leela 12                     - Ace  7 (+1)

- Jamie 14                      - Romana I 11              - Grace 2
    - Victoria 11                  - Romana II 8                 - Rose 12

Well, that was really frustrating! Been trying to tidy this up. Did it on my own word processor but then on the fonts and sizes changed with no logic when I pasted it in. then tried to do it in the rich-text editor itself and it kept moving every 10 seconds. Really really annoying. 45 mins to make one post!

- Barbara 10                 - The Brigadier 15         - Nyssa 10              - Martha 8

- Stephen 10                 - Sarah Jane 13(+1)      - Turlough 8
    - Polly 10
    - Harry 12                    - Peri 10
    - Ben 10                       - Leela 12                     - Ace  6

- Jamie 14                      - Romana I 11              - Grace 2 (-2)
    - Victoria 11                  - Romana II 8                 - Rose 12

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Forums   5 years 26 weeks ago

It is sad its closing down. I really enjoyed reading the reviews of that nights episode while waiting to download it when i lived in the states. Made the episode all the more anticipated!

- Susan 4                     - Zoe 11                     - Adric 4                      - Martha 8
    - Ian 12                       - Liz 8                        - Nyssa 10                  Donna 11
    - Barbara 10                 - The Brigadier 15        - Tegan 8                   - Vicki 10
    - Jo Grant 12                - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10               - Sarah Jane 12
    - Peri 10
    - Harry 12                   - Ace  6                       - Ben 10
    - Leela 12                    - Grace 4 (-2)
    - Polly 10                   - K9 10
    - Rose 12
    - Jamie 14 (+1)            - Romana I 11              - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11                 - Romana II 8             - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

- Ian 12                       - Liz 8 (-2)                  - Nyssa 10                  Donna 11
    - Jo Grant 12                - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10               - Sarah Jane 12
    - Peri 10
    - Harry 12 (+1)            - Ace  6                       - Ben 10
    - Leela 12                    - Grace 6
    - Polly 10                   - K9 10
    - Rose 12
    - Jamie 13                  - Romana I 11              - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11                 - Romana II 8             - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Happy Anniversary to Us! 24 Years of Time and Space.   5 years 26 weeks ago

I haven't gone by the name Lord President since oh, before you were born. Well, not quite. We are having our Second Life meet up in August (I believe the 15th). It would be nice if we could arrange something this summer in first life.

We were supposed to start having regular meet ups again at a pub or such. We need someone to be in charge of the logistics of that and making it happen.

Rockville Centre, you remember that. That was our very first meeting at the Holiday Inn. It doesn't exist anymore, at least by that name. I think (though I am not sure) it is still a hotel of some sorts which it would be something if we rented out the room there for our 25th anniversary next year.

It would be great if we could get some of the originals back for it. Some of which I haven't seen in 20 years.

Don't seem to remember ever owning a droid. Very interesting...

• CHILLER airing STRANGE w/Tom Baker?   5 years 26 weeks ago

CHILLER is indeed airing STRANGE on Sunday nights but early night. It is on again late night and might even be on twice on Sundays. That said, there are only seven episodes including the extra longer pilot (longer than the other eps).

Also: Tom is in the last ep. and it seemed as if his character was going to be brought back. I hoped so.

I must stress that this series is VERY well written and acted and is like a murder mystery only with demons as the usual culprits. There are twists and turns and I only guessed one of the seven endings yet all the other endings make total sense in logic just as any good murder mystery should. It is heads and shoulders above ANY DW IMO and while I loved the DW Agatha ep, this is MUCH better in originality, creep factor, and interest level. And it has grounded charcters in the here and now who care about each other.

I'm amazed that this show didn't get renewed and didn't get good ratings. It was so good. Although if what I read on line about the second season that was proposed, I'm glad it didn't get made because the down syndrome boy was going to be killed off and the show was going to do other things that sounded terrible, rather than have demons in it doing murders, which is what the excellent first season had.

Oh and Sir Ian Richardson is just marvelous as the sinister religion man! ANd he's funny besides in a dry wit kind of way. Connor from PRIMEVAL is in this as the comptuer expert (played by someone else in the pilot...the fake TORCHWOOD guy in the ep where the guy insinuated his way into the TORCHWOOD team but he was really a fake TORCHWOOD member). There's others you mightr recognize too but Tom Baker is really tops in this...as usual.

- Susan 4        - Zoe 11                      - Adric 4              Martha 8
    - Ian 12           - Liz 10                       - Nyssa 10           Donna 11
    - Barbara 10    - The Brigadier 15       - Tegan 8
    - Vicki 10          - Joe Grant 12             - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10    - Sarah Jane 12          - Peri 10

- Harry 11                   - Ace  6
    - Ben 10           - Leela 12                  - Grace 6
    - Polly 10          - K9 10                       - Rose 12
    - Jamie 13         - Romana I 11 (+1)   - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11      - Romana II 8  (-2)     - Captain Jack 9

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 26 weeks ago

spoilers!!!

I also don't think, regardless of quality it has, it has the ratings high that DW has/had, nor did it ever get anywhere near as close to DW ratings, not that I care about ratings but the network execs do. Personally I love the first season because it has that old time sci fi feel to it: you know scientists are the ones in the know about ancient giant monsters stalking Earth in the present day, ala dozens of 1950s monster movies and does so without being boring and also using the time portals to interesting effect. It also had some good character interplay and I like Connor being more Connor like in that season and also the journey the chracters take as they first encounter thse giant monsters and the like...later on they were more used to it all. And again the main three characters that left or got killed off....I missed them. The new ones aren't terrible but just not them. I also thought that Saber Tooth tiger effect in season two was way too cartoon like and terrible. It could have been so much more scary and well done if the effect...and yeah, this is one time the effects DO MATTER...needed to be better to make that work at all.  Still I hoipe they tie things  up for the guy that's lost in the past...and I'm sure that COnnor and the girl from S CLUB will find his lost device and track him and save him. Or then agian maybe the entire show will be left in limbo...

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 26 weeks ago

Ok, I think Mr. Smith's incredibly tall forehead is a bit odd - but I like my Doctors odd, don't you? When Tennant started, I thought "I want to go back to Eccleston, Tennant isn't odd enough."

But then, when Tom Baker started, I pined for Pertwee a bit, until Baker grew on me. Come to think of it, I didn't want to change from Troughton to Pertwee, either. I guess I just don't like change.

(My wife looked over my shoulder and said that was a slight understatement, pointing out that I still prefer Windows 95, since my IBM PC-XT died and I had to give up DOS.)

But as far as changing from RTD... I thought "Blink", "The Girl In The Fireplace", and "Silence In The Library" were some of the best episodes of this millenium. So Moffat behind the console sounds good to me!  ~Dred

• Dodged a Bullet??   5 years 26 weeks ago

Well I haven't watched JEKYLL but I suspect it's very very good. From anyone who has watched it, that's what I've heard. As far as dodging a bullett, I think DW was hit smacxk on full hard by the bullet that is and was and will be John Simms. He's totaly over the TOP, way too silly to be menacing, and predictable but tha'ts more in the writing than the acxting but his acxting was totally hammy and jsut plain bad. More bullets to come might just be : More Capt Jack not really fulfullling his true potential again, weddings?, more companoin crossovers with no real plot to rely on, David Tennant again (sorry about that one), more Daleks, more Cybermen, more Davros's silly plans and silly speeches (HOW CAN HE CLAIM THE DOCTOR IS BAD when he's just pathetically evil?), another, yet another ending for Rose and her John Smith, and who knows what else awaits us in what NOVEMBER? Or Xmas? Sigh.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)