• The Keeper of Traken   5 years 19 weeks ago

Gosh, that was a good episode! I mean ep3's are not often but this one was just bloody fun, bloody brilliant, and bloody good. I'm sorry but I didn't notice it then but I do now: Sarah Sutton's just not very good an actress. And people pick on Matthew. I just don't find her very believable. Likeable, yes, believeable no. Still she gets a chance to shine here and warm to the character and make the audience like her, which she invariably did.

There's action galore here for once and the sets that involved the chase and just about everything else are brilliant, colorful in all the right places, and dark in the others. The cell looks like a dank cell for once and the tree groves and sanctum are just all well made and well filmed.

Tom has a ton of Tom-isms that are just...fun, funny and fit in well. There's more in this episode than the last two or three. I love his "what can't be cured must be endured" and then Adric's' "that's the silliest thing you've ever said," to which Tom replies, "Yes, yes, shh, don't listen to me, I never do."  And there's much more. Someone says there's snot coming out his nose in the cell scene and I don't recall seeing it on first viewing nor in this one but if  you look for it, I think you'll see it as once before I did. Also at times, Tom plays it pretty straight and again, he reminds me, I don't know why, of Richard Basehart in VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA particulary the later VOYAGEs. It could be that Basehart, like Tom, was unphazed by the bad scripts even though hating them, and that he felt the only way to cope (besides drinking, like Basehart) was to play it competely straight at times with some quips at others. The two have a lot more in common than one might first think, which is why I think a fan ficction writer once had the companions wonder if Admiral Nelson was somehow the Doctor regenrated when the Doc was lost and had his memory taken or something.

Anyhow I don't see the science in the Keepership...it is really more like magic. Bryne supposedly used some of the Space: 1999 concepts in METAMORPH to copy but it still comes off as magic here, but in 1999 at least some attempt was made to call it psyche or something or other. Not to matter, I've always accepted DW as magical anyway, I just hate it when it gets all  hypocritical and starts behaving like science is the only thing as in Pertwee stories or as in "there is no magic" type stories. Clearly in this DW universe, there is. I also hate Traken. The politics and agendas are worse than on Earth and clearly they are not a peace loving society. Even those not taken over the ...well, the Master in his emaciated form frm DEADLY ASSASSin...a LOVELY touch to have him back in THAT form! And if anything he looks even more creepy as if he's tried to regenerate again and failed or something. He has some more flesh on him. And looks burned! Ahhh, yes, those not taken over the Master include almost everyone but Kassia but the Fosters can be bribed, Kutura doesn't trust Tremas or the Doctor and is generally stupid as is Luvic.

The storm: laughable. Again, I've mentioned Irwin Allen shows and if they did one thing correctly (alot of things in my book imo but...) it was storms. A windstorm on LOST IN SPACE is a lot more dangerous looking than what was going on in the lightning wind storm in this ep and it just looks silly here in KEEPER OF TRAKEN. Having an old woman and a goofy guy move around while wind and lighting effects lamely try to show us the "danger" is just...lame. Ditto the scenes of the Doctor (notice how Baker goes for laying around on the ground with Sarah!) and company falling on their asses during the said "storm". Not a good storm to be honest but it does the job I guess. Also note how Sarah touches the Tardis doors and they almost open.

And again, the writer of this story is giving Adric mature things to say and do and in a way making him more mature than the Doctor and even advanced beyond maths and in science. I also like how Nyssa mentions Adric's name before the Doctor's when talking about them in one part. That says something. Adric is sort of like Robin to Tom's Batman in this ep and I wished to heaven that this could/would have continued. In the next story we get, unbelievably an air stewardess chiming in "for what it's worth" as she puts it herself. And it's pretty poor to see the early Tegan trying to be all serious and scientific.

I like the ion bonder. Why didn't the Doctor keep it for later eps? Or maybe he did? I can't recall but he certainly didn't use it. I do think it would have been yuet another problem solver like K9 or even THE TARDIS or the Sonic Screwdriver. But for pete's sake, the Doc has to have some leverage over something. He certainly can't fight...not really. I know that the Pertwee Doctor could but...in all truth, he hardly even had the upper hand in physical confrontations most of the time and as for the other Doctors...I guess they could get lucky in some fights but they were no Bruce Lee...

All in all,   a good ep to bring back the Master and it's particulary cool that the Melkur is actually the Master's TARDIS! Who can't wait to see the Doc and the Master meet in the last ep? THIS is how to do a Master returns story, not...well you know what i mean.

Globe trotting at the moment. Belgium and the Netherlands last week, Tokyo this week (it's really difficult to keep track of the 24 hour delay thing!! As Idion says above,

what's up with the editor? It is behaving really oddly, this keep rearranging themselves as I type.

- Susan 4                     - Zoe 11                        - K9 10               - Captain Jack 9
    - Ian 12                       - Liz 8                          - Adric 4                - Mickey 6
    - Barbara 10                 - The Brigadier 15         - Nyssa 10              - Martha 6 (-2)
    - Vicki 10                     - Jo Grant 12                 - Tegan 8             Donna 11

- Stephen 10                 - Sarah Jane 13           - Turlough 8
    - Polly 10
    - Harry 12                    - Peri 10
    - Ben 10                       - Leela 12                     - Ace  7 (+1)

- Jamie 14                      - Romana I 11              - Grace 2
    - Victoria 11                  - Romana II 8                 - Rose 12

Well, that was really frustrating! Been trying to tidy this up. Did it on my own word processor but then on the fonts and sizes changed with no logic when I pasted it in. then tried to do it in the rich-text editor itself and it kept moving every 10 seconds. Really really annoying. 45 mins to make one post!

- Barbara 10                 - The Brigadier 15         - Nyssa 10              - Martha 8

- Stephen 10                 - Sarah Jane 13(+1)      - Turlough 8
    - Polly 10
    - Harry 12                    - Peri 10
    - Ben 10                       - Leela 12                     - Ace  6

- Jamie 14                      - Romana I 11              - Grace 2 (-2)
    - Victoria 11                  - Romana II 8                 - Rose 12

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Forums   5 years 19 weeks ago

It is sad its closing down. I really enjoyed reading the reviews of that nights episode while waiting to download it when i lived in the states. Made the episode all the more anticipated!

- Susan 4                     - Zoe 11                     - Adric 4                      - Martha 8
    - Ian 12                       - Liz 8                        - Nyssa 10                  Donna 11
    - Barbara 10                 - The Brigadier 15        - Tegan 8                   - Vicki 10
    - Jo Grant 12                - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10               - Sarah Jane 12
    - Peri 10
    - Harry 12                   - Ace  6                       - Ben 10
    - Leela 12                    - Grace 4 (-2)
    - Polly 10                   - K9 10
    - Rose 12
    - Jamie 14 (+1)            - Romana I 11              - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11                 - Romana II 8             - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

- Ian 12                       - Liz 8 (-2)                  - Nyssa 10                  Donna 11
    - Jo Grant 12                - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10               - Sarah Jane 12
    - Peri 10
    - Harry 12 (+1)            - Ace  6                       - Ben 10
    - Leela 12                    - Grace 6
    - Polly 10                   - K9 10
    - Rose 12
    - Jamie 13                  - Romana I 11              - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11                 - Romana II 8             - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Happy Anniversary to Us! 24 Years of Time and Space.   5 years 19 weeks ago

I haven't gone by the name Lord President since oh, before you were born. Well, not quite. We are having our Second Life meet up in August (I believe the 15th). It would be nice if we could arrange something this summer in first life.

We were supposed to start having regular meet ups again at a pub or such. We need someone to be in charge of the logistics of that and making it happen.

Rockville Centre, you remember that. That was our very first meeting at the Holiday Inn. It doesn't exist anymore, at least by that name. I think (though I am not sure) it is still a hotel of some sorts which it would be something if we rented out the room there for our 25th anniversary next year.

It would be great if we could get some of the originals back for it. Some of which I haven't seen in 20 years.

Don't seem to remember ever owning a droid. Very interesting...

• CHILLER airing STRANGE w/Tom Baker?   5 years 19 weeks ago

CHILLER is indeed airing STRANGE on Sunday nights but early night. It is on again late night and might even be on twice on Sundays. That said, there are only seven episodes including the extra longer pilot (longer than the other eps).

Also: Tom is in the last ep. and it seemed as if his character was going to be brought back. I hoped so.

I must stress that this series is VERY well written and acted and is like a murder mystery only with demons as the usual culprits. There are twists and turns and I only guessed one of the seven endings yet all the other endings make total sense in logic just as any good murder mystery should. It is heads and shoulders above ANY DW IMO and while I loved the DW Agatha ep, this is MUCH better in originality, creep factor, and interest level. And it has grounded charcters in the here and now who care about each other.

I'm amazed that this show didn't get renewed and didn't get good ratings. It was so good. Although if what I read on line about the second season that was proposed, I'm glad it didn't get made because the down syndrome boy was going to be killed off and the show was going to do other things that sounded terrible, rather than have demons in it doing murders, which is what the excellent first season had.

Oh and Sir Ian Richardson is just marvelous as the sinister religion man! ANd he's funny besides in a dry wit kind of way. Connor from PRIMEVAL is in this as the comptuer expert (played by someone else in the pilot...the fake TORCHWOOD guy in the ep where the guy insinuated his way into the TORCHWOOD team but he was really a fake TORCHWOOD member). There's others you mightr recognize too but Tom Baker is really tops in this...as usual.

- Susan 4        - Zoe 11                      - Adric 4              Martha 8
    - Ian 12           - Liz 10                       - Nyssa 10           Donna 11
    - Barbara 10    - The Brigadier 15       - Tegan 8
    - Vicki 10          - Joe Grant 12             - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10    - Sarah Jane 12          - Peri 10

- Harry 11                   - Ace  6
    - Ben 10           - Leela 12                  - Grace 6
    - Polly 10          - K9 10                       - Rose 12
    - Jamie 13         - Romana I 11 (+1)   - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11      - Romana II 8  (-2)     - Captain Jack 9

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 19 weeks ago

spoilers!!!

I also don't think, regardless of quality it has, it has the ratings high that DW has/had, nor did it ever get anywhere near as close to DW ratings, not that I care about ratings but the network execs do. Personally I love the first season because it has that old time sci fi feel to it: you know scientists are the ones in the know about ancient giant monsters stalking Earth in the present day, ala dozens of 1950s monster movies and does so without being boring and also using the time portals to interesting effect. It also had some good character interplay and I like Connor being more Connor like in that season and also the journey the chracters take as they first encounter thse giant monsters and the like...later on they were more used to it all. And again the main three characters that left or got killed off....I missed them. The new ones aren't terrible but just not them. I also thought that Saber Tooth tiger effect in season two was way too cartoon like and terrible. It could have been so much more scary and well done if the effect...and yeah, this is one time the effects DO MATTER...needed to be better to make that work at all.  Still I hoipe they tie things  up for the guy that's lost in the past...and I'm sure that COnnor and the girl from S CLUB will find his lost device and track him and save him. Or then agian maybe the entire show will be left in limbo...

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 19 weeks ago

Ok, I think Mr. Smith's incredibly tall forehead is a bit odd - but I like my Doctors odd, don't you? When Tennant started, I thought "I want to go back to Eccleston, Tennant isn't odd enough."

But then, when Tom Baker started, I pined for Pertwee a bit, until Baker grew on me. Come to think of it, I didn't want to change from Troughton to Pertwee, either. I guess I just don't like change.

(My wife looked over my shoulder and said that was a slight understatement, pointing out that I still prefer Windows 95, since my IBM PC-XT died and I had to give up DOS.)

But as far as changing from RTD... I thought "Blink", "The Girl In The Fireplace", and "Silence In The Library" were some of the best episodes of this millenium. So Moffat behind the console sounds good to me!  ~Dred

• Dodged a Bullet??   5 years 19 weeks ago

Well I haven't watched JEKYLL but I suspect it's very very good. From anyone who has watched it, that's what I've heard. As far as dodging a bullett, I think DW was hit smacxk on full hard by the bullet that is and was and will be John Simms. He's totaly over the TOP, way too silly to be menacing, and predictable but tha'ts more in the writing than the acxting but his acxting was totally hammy and jsut plain bad. More bullets to come might just be : More Capt Jack not really fulfullling his true potential again, weddings?, more companoin crossovers with no real plot to rely on, David Tennant again (sorry about that one), more Daleks, more Cybermen, more Davros's silly plans and silly speeches (HOW CAN HE CLAIM THE DOCTOR IS BAD when he's just pathetically evil?), another, yet another ending for Rose and her John Smith, and who knows what else awaits us in what NOVEMBER? Or Xmas? Sigh.

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 19 weeks ago

>> I love the first season, feel so so about the second, and feel the third was variable.

I agree with Chase there. But I think it deserves another chance, and boy is my wife gonna be pissed when she hears this- she loves that show!      ~Dred

• The Keeper of Traken   5 years 19 weeks ago

Hey Troy, not to be contentious or anything. I did notice the later ones but the first one is really the guntoting guards advancing on the Doctor and Adric with guns drawn, ready to fire so that's really a traditional cliffhanger. The others are just...well, I liked them at the time but to be honest, compared to the Sarah Jane cliffhangers  in almost all her stores (being ravaged by a Zygon, having her hand near an erupting Krynoid, falling off a gantry, spotting Davros testing a first time Dalek, trying to free the Doctor's neck from a baby Dalek, recovering her sight as a monster advances on her from behind, the Loch Ness monster fondling the Doctor from on high, etc etc) these are really dull. Not terrible for the story mind you and different because as you say subtle but I wouldn't want cliffhangers like this all the time. Just my opinion.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 19 weeks ago

Idiom, I'd have to agree with you there. I think the SENSORITES is really the set up for WHO as we know it now in many ways. I love the points you made about the story itself. It also set up some really strangeness for Susan which was never really fulfilled later on and the Doc and Susan relate well and one can tell that he cares for her but that she wants to be a woman and not a teenager. The aliens look fantastic and the spaceship stuff in the first two or so eps is really good. There is some creakiness to the entire thing but that's to be expected.

Just today I showed some students FATHER'S DAY and they thought the show was from the 1970s! And they thought the effects looked terrible compared what we have "now" and when I told them it was a show from england they said, "Say no more."  As if they thought...well never mind. SENSORITES in that frame is really rather ahead of its time in the city, the ship, etc but in another vein it's really in FLASH GORDON (the good one from the 1930s and 40s in  movie chapter format with Buster Crabbe) format.

The last ep or so is rather tedious in THE SENSORITES and well, it's rather all longish but in a way not really dramatic in the ending, still I loved it. There's a lot to recommend it and for the first time, it really feels like an alien planet, or in DW's case, part of an alien planet. I really liked this story though and everyone seems to ahve a part to play in it and it is really enjoyable. I'd give it the same rating.

Oh the one thing I t hought was really cheesy was: wasn't there supposed to be a monster in the waterworks or the mines and we only hear it and never see it. Even FLASH GORDON would ahve shown something. Even a shadow or do we see that? Anyway though, sometimes not seeing a monster is more imagiative but here it's just cheesy.

hope I did this right.

- Susan 4        - Zoe 11                      - Adric 4 (-2)              Martha 8
    - Ian 12                - Liz 10                       - Nyssa 10           Donna 11
    - Barbara 10         - The Brigadier 15        - Tegan 8
    - Vicki 10              - Joe Grant 12       - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10         - Sarah Jane 12          - Peri 10

- Harry 11                   - Ace  6
    - Ben 10               - Leela 12                  - Grace 6
    - Polly 10             - K9 10                       - Rose 12 (+ 1)
    - Jamie 13           - Romana I 10            - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

'Moon, moonlight, skull and horror - I need a glass of wine at the end'

Dr Who - DVD 'Image of the Fendahl'

EDIT - note to Louis - 528x426 seems to work :-)

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 19 weeks ago

I particularly like this as one of the best stories for Barbara. It's one of the few times a companion tries to alter history to improve things, and unfortunately she failed miserably.

Like you it took me a while to warm up to some of the earlier companions but by this time Barbara had found her footing and became a memorable character in the show.

Just a note:

During this time the actors were taking vacation time while the show was going. In this story Carol Anne Ford was gone for two episodes and was seen in pre-recorded clips for the story. During "The Keys of Marinus" Willaim Hartnell had taken his break, in "The Sensorites" Jacquline Hill took her break and in the story after that ("The Reign of Terror") William Russell took his break.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 19 weeks ago

THE SENSORITES: SPOILERS!!!

I’ve done well this week – an episode a night and I’ve worked my way through the Sensorites. I wasn’t sure during the first episode whether I’d like this or not but my doubts were soon swept away by the claustrophobic feel of the spaceship and the eerie cliffhanger to episode one. Another great story with enough twists and turns and groups to make the story interesting (although I feel that the story could have done without episode two, which felt a little padded for my liking).

Some thoughts:

·         Loved the look of the Sensorites themselves, like bipedal fish with beards. I also liked the timid, nervous nature of these creatures who almost couldn’t stand extremes of any kind

·         The TARDIS lock burnt out?! What?

·         Susan showing signs of telepathy but the Doctor not?

·         The growing bonds between the TARDIS crew (The Doctor calling Ian: My Boy) who really work as a team now and the shock turnaround in the Doctor’s attitude at the end of episode six

·         A nice example of sixties racism as Carol declares that she can’t tell one Sensorite from the other but then it seems that even the Sensorites can’t seem to tell each other apart, thus the use of sashes to distinguish rank and individual

·         Peter Glaze played the Third Elder – was this the same Peter Glaze from Crackerjack? The more I think about it, the more it really seemed like him despite the Sensorite mask.

A strong and interesting story overall. Another  recommendation but as discussed in the postings above probably more enjoyable when seen as part of the first season as a whole. 8 out of 10.

Next: Vive la revolution!

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 19 weeks ago

When I first say the Aztecs, it was the first Hartnell story, I'd ever seen. Everything that I knew about the first Doctor up until that point had was from the Target novels (which as a young boy, I loved incidentally). It may have taken me an episode to warm up to the characters but I have ton say that my experience was different from Doctor Whoovie's and I loved the story the first time that I saw it.

However, I do agree that watching in order from the beginning adds a whole new dimension. Yes, the characters grow, their relationships deepen. Susan has stopped being annoying for me, I love watching Ian walk round in his top from thirteenth century China in the Keys of Marinus. As the bonds between the two halves of the Tardis crew strengthen so my interest in them grows. Yes, I am enjoying this thoroughly.

• Doctor Who Motivational Posters   5 years 19 weeks ago

Gone too far?

• Doctor Who Motivational Posters   5 years 19 weeks ago

It's in the episode Lord Parker's 'Oliday.

• Air Date for Torchwood S3   5 years 19 weeks ago

Well, when the BBC aired the 4th series of "Doctor Who" there was about a month "lag time" from then to when it aired in the US (on Sci-Fi).

That is to be expected, but I wish could get a simultaneous broadcast like they did for "The Five Doctors" when it came out. They did that specially for the 20th anniversary - so why can't they do it now?Frown

• Ken, Daphne, and Louis 2009   5 years 19 weeks ago

Now that's a mug shot!!!!!

- Susan 4 (-2)        - Zoe 11                      - Adric 6               Martha 8
    - Barbara 10         - The Brigadier 15        - Tegan 8
    - Vicki 10              - Joe Grant 12 (+1)       - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10         - Sarah Jane 12          - Peri 10

- Harry 11                   - Ace  6
    - Ben 10               - Leela 12                  - Grace 6
    - Polly 10             - K9 10                       - Rose 11
    - Jamie 13           - Romana I 10            - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)