In the post titled: Bye Susan Adric has 4 points left. In the next post he has 2 taken away and therefore 2 left, this is shown as follows 2 (-2). The two in parenthesis is how many were taken away and the first 2 is how many he has left. He then survives a few more posts before having the final two taken.

It works like this, look:

X starts with 10 points thus:  X 10

Then when somebody wants to take away 2 points the next post will look like this: X 8 (-2)

I hope that clarifies things?

- Ian 12                  - Zoe 13                 - Romana I 11      - Captain Jack 9
    - Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 2             - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8

28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Doctor Who: The Next Doctor on DVD   5 years 4 weeks ago

Thanks, during that time I'll remind myself to watch FOUR TO DOOMSDAY, a better story!!!!!

Yeah I know, Adric has FOUR and in the next post he has TWO. Then two was minused from two to get zero. But if you see what i Mean he lost TWO from no one as in one post he had 4 and nothing in parathesis (meaning no one minused those two to get two i the next post). Then in the next post he had TWO despite no one minusing TWO  from his four. Then they minused TWO.

I knew better than to play this game anyway as it's not correctly done but whatever, I tried.

• Doctor in Distress   5 years 4 weeks ago

Yeah I have to agree that it's unbearable and embarassing but thanks Louis for posting it! (?). What I mean is it gives us a real taste of what's it like so that we don't think we're missing something great if we never get to see it! A total low for DW and the DW actors, pathetic and made me want to disassociate myself frm this lame show that would do this. Still, was it charity? I guess that's always good if it really goes to a good cause. SOmetimes others think it was money being made to go to keeping the show on the air. It was all mismanaged.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 4 weeks ago

I agreee with everything you said but I would probably put MARCO POLO above the AZTECS but as they're so different in almost every way...except wnating to get back to the TARDIS and being historicals...

One thing to notice is that UNEARTHLY CHILD (great  first ep) may not be a historical at all. Certianly the production team thought of it as our past as in ONE MILLION BC the movies but...if you look closer it might not be Earth at all that they're on! Which is imaginative to think it might be a human colonized planet or these might be aliens! Just a thought.

Hartnell excells in all these stories, his performance does not hinge on anything over the top (EDGE OF DESTRUCTION comes close but even over the top, he does  a great job and makes the Doctor fascinated, fascinating, mysterious, admiring, bold, brash, and at times wrong as only an old man can be wrong and in spirit, he's sometimes WRONG as with treating Barbara and Ian so coldly in the first story and in this ---but so much in the Daleks). In THE DALEKS, he seems like a human old man, getting sick before the others and not at all like an alien. Yet...there's always that something that Hartnell, even if the scripts don't, suggests that the Doc is not quite human but not quite an alien so far removed from an old man. Brilliant that. ANd his flubs are just adorable and funny...whether or not he meant them. In MASSACRE as he plays someone else, he makes no flubs as that other character, which might suggest that he did the flubs, mostly, on purpose as part of the Doc's old man nature.

Susan: yeck! She has her moments but overall they blew it as she could have been so alien, so strange and had some powers as hinted at in THE SENSORITES. Instead, she's supposed to be the teens' audience identification character but then she's so young in an older body, it seems as she's 16 supposedly (but liek most things in DW it's open to interpretation) and younger kids might not really identify with that and she's so whiney...who likes that? She's also a screamer, a worrier, and a perpetual victim. As the first companion, I guess that's okay as she sets up the screamer thing and worrier thing and complaining thing for future Peri's, Mel's and Jo's and Victoria's of the world. She must have some knowledge of science as Zoe did in future stories but she's justs sort of there and truthfully the actress isn't all that good.

Ian: that's more like it. Really the hero and he's not bold and brash and not conceited or even James Bond-ish. In fact, he seems like the best charater, the most real, the most down to Earth and the most fit to survive and he cares about all the others, even the Doctor, who he seems to develop a grudging amusement over. He so obviously loves Barbara right from the outset and seems protective of her and Susan...and the actor is so up for all of it. Even does well in the strange EDGE OF DESTRUCTION.

Barbara: has her great moments but can be reduced to a blithering, idiot, screamer, whiny, annoying stubborn fool! but then again in these situations wouldn't you? SHe can also be conceited and in your face, a nag in space. Yet, she also has many many sympathetic scenes in all the stories. In fact, I'd have liked AZTECS more if she wasn't so...in your face. I think the actress is a good one and I'm fond of her and seeing her literally wasted in MEGLOS bothered me. Too bad she couldn't have come back as Barbara.

The execution overall is great. KEYS OF MARINUS with the rubber skin suited Voord is probably the worst in execution but even that has atmosphere, acid sea, pryamids, jungles, a trial done right, mystery, and so many diffrent aspects of the Doctor, from legal to plotter to victim, that there's so much going on, it resembles the season in micro. I believe the companions even start a rebellion in this. Thus, the AZTECS and the other stories around it set up DW for the future and the show seemed very stretcheable. A GREAT SEASON.

• Doctor in Distress   5 years 4 weeks ago

Please, enough of this song & video already.  It's totally unbearable!

Yell

• Doctor Who: The Next Doctor on DVD   5 years 4 weeks ago

UPDATE: There has been an update!

Since I posted this earlier today, the time slot for the airings has been extended. The new air-times are 9:00 PM - 10:15 PM and Midnight to 1:15 AM. 'The Graham Norton Show' has been reduced to accomodate the 'Doctor Who' episode.

• Doctor Who: The Next Doctor on DVD   5 years 4 weeks ago

BBC America (not the HD channel) will air 'The Next Doctor' this Saturday (June 27) at 9:00 PM (EDT).

It will re-air at midnight.

The bad thing is - it has been cut to fit in a 1-hour time slot.

So if you haven't see this episode yet and live in the US - catch it this weekend.

- Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 2 (-2)            - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 14            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 8                  - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 2
    - Ben 11                  Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 16              Leela 14                - Ace 6 (+1)
    Victoria 8              - K9 7                     - Rose 14

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

- Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 4            - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 14 (+1)    - Tegan 8
    - Polly 8                  - Sarah Jane 14        Turlough 2
    - Ben 11                  Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 16              Leela 14                - Ace 5
    Victoria 8              - K9 7 (-2)                - Rose 14

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• BBC America in HD! Oh Yeah Baby!   5 years 4 weeks ago

Yeah, I'm so sorry - I didn't notice it until I was about to run out to a meeting, should have deleted. I'll get better at it, I promise!!!!!!

'Doom and Dumarest - Wimbledon and win'

Some Dr Who spin-off show news

• BBC America in HD! Oh Yeah Baby!   5 years 4 weeks ago

I tried to make it fit here Amy... the HTML emailings that BBC America sends out aren't designed to fit the format of our website column here. It was bleeding into the right side bar as a result.

I removed the non-related elements and squeezed in the rest to make it fit.

- Ian 12                  - Zoe 13                 - Romana I 11           - Captain Jack 9
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 8                  - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 2(-2)
    - Ben 11                  Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 16              Leela 14                - Ace 5
    Victoria 8              - K9 9                      - Rose 14 (+1)

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 4 weeks ago

Season One Overview

This first season of Doctor Who scores  a 9 out of 10. The quality of the story telling overall has been exceptional and even though a life-long Doctor Who fan, before I started I was intially afraid that I would struggle in parts. The opposite, in fact, has happened and my enjoyment has grown with the development of the main characters.

The science fiction stories were well told, on the whole, with the best, in my opinion, of course, being the Daleks’ first tale and the weakest, to my mind, the Keys of Marinus saga (Terry Nation taking both extremes there!) which suffered from not having enough time to tell the story which it wanted to.

The historicals have been excellent (and just like Dr Whoovie – I have preferred these) with the best being the Aztecs and the worst the last three episodes on an Unearthly Child.

The characters have grown, becoming  fleshed out over the season, with the Doctors irascibility and unpredictability gradually being tempered by a strong sense of morality, and Ian and Barbara relaxing into their roles as wanderers of the fourth dimension and now actually enjoying their travels with the Doctor. The only character who seems to have suffered in terms of long-term development has been Susan, for me. She began the series as an interesting combination of British teenager from the sixties and alien outsider but by the Reign of Terror seems to do little more than scream at the sight of rats and hang on to Barbara at every turn. Shame, because she could have been so much more.

The supporting characters were well-written, and added a real sense of community to the times and places which the travellers visit.

The whole series felt like one coherent story to me, a fact aided by the cliff hangers at the end of each episode but also each story leading into the next.

I’m not sure why I should be surprised at just how much I’ve enjoyed this, but I am, and I’m bristling to move on to season two.

• CASTROVALVA   5 years 4 weeks ago

This gives away the ID of the Master!

This episode, I don't know why maybe it's because I know what's going to happen, starts out slow and gets slower and slower and slower. I guess when I first watched it I was excited by all the possibilities it had: savage war party, strange strangers in a strange place with a hint of menace by at least one or two of the Castrovalvans and the strange way the city was built plus the odd ways the city was filmed and the way the people moved through it, including Nyssa, the Doctor and Tegan, even before the cliffhanger lead up. And I defy anyone to tell me that they knew the real identity of the Master as the Portreve. That was a brilliant move. Then we have lunch or whatever dinner maybe and the Doctor discussing Ogrons and Daleks and that it is nice to have the universe not thought of as filled with nasty creatures. Indeed, this is a nice change. The entire episode is nice and finishes almost nice. There is something subtle going on and it's a bit unsettling. The Adric wraith stuff is well done and again, I'm sorry, but Waterhouse does a great job of acting during thse short pivotal scenes. Davison is still not fully regenerated or settled in and during some of this ep, isn't sure who he is! That's great! He's doing a good job but  I must admit on this viewing, if not the first few times, I was having Tom Baker withdrawal. I miss his Tomisms and Davison, while he tries to quote a few things and has a few Doctorisms, isn't really up to TOm Baker's type. He also...and I think the celery thing is stupid, even if I didn't think of it then--gets his celery. There's little tension, real tension here but there is a bit of mystery building. And the last scene of the trio trying to escape Castrovalva...is very cool as they keep returning to the same place and never really get anywhere, "We're caught in a space time trap!" Of course, just like the cliffhanger resolution at the start of this ep ("The Doctor must have walked out.") next week it doesn't seem like much of a big problem at first. Fielding does a bit better here in acting. Sutton is good too, especially when she has to shut up and just look out a window. The music is still lovely and the little girl and the Doctor interact nicely. A good, NICE episode but...where is Tom Baker? :)

- Ian 12                  - Zoe 13                 - Romana I 11     - Captain Jack 9
    - Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 4 (-2)           - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 8            - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 4
    - Ben 11          Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 16              Leela 14                - Ace 5
    Victoria 8              - K9 9                      - Rose 13 (+1)

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 4 weeks ago

I found REIGN to be variable but I enjoyed all the eps. with parts 1 and some of 2 very serious, 3,4, and some of 5 a bit silly but enjoyable and funny and the last eps with a man shot in the face, quite creepy in the way it was filmed and heard but not seen! Hartnell is in top form as are all the regulars. I must admit the terror of this time period is conveyed well as is the filth in the cells and the various factions that went on at that time and it's all well done. I am amused as how Hartnell keeps the DOctor both mysteerious, old, funny, and adorable but even then he just uses a small amount of THree Stooges violence. The sets are adequate this time and give a real sense of place and time. I never found all the back and forth tedious and in fact, found the various locations and characters quite interesting as well as the Doctor playing dress up. The whole thing amounts to a really good historical and tense as well as beliveable. IMO

- Ian 12                  - Zoe 13                 - Romana I 11     - Captain Jack 9
    - Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 6           - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

- Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 4
    - Ben 10                 Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 16 (+1)       Leela 14                 - Ace 5 (-2)
    Victoria 8              - K9 9                      - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 4 weeks ago

The Reign of Terror: Spoilers!

Yet, again the first season delivers a cracking historical adventure set during the period of Terror following the French Revolution.

One problem that the series as a whole has always suffered from is inventing new and original reasons for why the crew don’t just run back to the TARDIS at the first sign of trouble and get the hell out of there. Here, our heroes are separated from each other (the Doctor believed dead in a fire) and spend most of the next six episodes trying to get together again. I enjoyed this as a narrative device for the main reasons that it felt credible but also made good use of all of the main cast members.

All, with the exception maybe of Susan. Whereas Barbara has grown during the last few stories and the writers have actually began to use the fact that she is a history teacher to help the viewers understand the historical context to the adventures or to provide an alternate viewpoint, Susan on the other hand seems to have reverted to the prototype Doctor Who companion. She does little in this adventure but swoon, scream and grab cling to Barbara. This for me is a shame, because the character could have been so much more.

Anyway, for once this six part adventure didn’t feel too long and the episodes crack by at a tremendous pace. I enjoyed episode six particularly with Ian and Barbara in disguise and the appearance of Napoleon Bonaparte. I also liked the scene in the TARDIS at the end where the friends reflect on the nature of their historical adventures and peace seems to reign in the Time Machine once more.

We discussed earlier in the thread whether or not watching the series in order had improved our enjoyment of various stories. I have to say that this is particularly true of this story. I listened to it last year and although quite enjoyed it, struggled to get through all six parts. This time, I romped through , looking forward to each new episode, enjoying how the series, which has now well and truly found its stride, goes from strength to strength.

Excellent. 9/10.

• The Eleven Doctors Special for Children In Need?   5 years 4 weeks ago

David Tennant's comments about this story (from an interview in the Chicago Tribune):

Now I also have to ask, I read a story about all 11 Doctors being united for a charity special some time this fall. Is there any truth to that?

Ooooh, that sounds like a good tabloid wheeze!

Well, if there's one thing I've learned from reading UK tabloids it's not to trust UK tabloids. So I thought I'd ask the source.

Oh sure. So what are they saying?

They're saying that for Children in Need, there will be a 15-minute charity film, it will reunite all the past Doctors via old footage or newly shot scenes. So I didn't know if you knew anything about that.

It's not something I've heard anything about. And I would have thought they'd be in touch. But that'd be quite a curious way to introduce Matt Smith, I'd have thought they'd wait until his first ["Doctor Who"] story. Not anything I've heard about yet.

Source: It's the beginning of the end of David Tennant's run on 'Doctor Who' (The Watcher | Chicagotribune.com)

- Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 6 (-2)    - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 4
    - Ben 10                 Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 15              Leela 14                 - Ace 7
    Victoria 8              - K9 9 (+1)               - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

- Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 8            - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17 (+1) - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                - Sarah Jane 14        Turlough 4 (-2)
    - Ben 10                 Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 15              Leela 14                 - Ace 7
    Victoria 8              - K9 8                       - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)